What's new

Aftermarket Auction Open

DavidL

Top Contributor
David there was no last minute bid. I was on that auction for the last 45 minutes .. there was no other bid during that time .. when the clock stopped i was the high bidder .. when the page refeshed the notice said that i had been out bid by $1 .. there was nothing, nada, zilch, to indicate to me that there was an over bid, nothing on the site no email notification nothing .. who ever placed the over bid and sucked up my proxy limit did it in a millisecond! .. i doudt that even the best online auction expert could wait till the auction end was within milliseconds of closing before placing a bid .. indeed it appears they did so .. consider that they are an expert in live auction bidding ..

Sorry Max but there was a last minute bid and it was higher than yours. Plain and simple.

I still have no notification of being out bid .. i have had no response from Netfleet to my site contact submission .. thats poor form ..

We don't send email notifications about being outbid if this happens within 60 secs or so of the auction ending. The theory is you wouldn't have time to receive, open, understand and act on the email so there's no point. We did this to reduce the amount of emails people get and also the load on the server at a critical time.

As for the response via the contact form - you copied and posted your PM to me and I responded above. It seemed a bit silly to copy and paste my response to your email too.

The auction format is poorly implemented .. what you want bidders to do is place a proxy to the extreme end of what they might be prepared to pay .. this may be ok if one is not in attendance .. i was live on the site ..

This is an auction for C*sake .. people do stupid things at auctions .. they can pay a lot more for something than they intended to at the begining it's in the heat of the moment thats what auctions are geared to do ..

I know it's not perfect but it's just a straighforward auction system with proxy bidding. Just like Ebay, Sedo, Grays Online for example. We didn't want to reinvent the wheel.

Your auction is open to being 'gamed' 'Halverez' style shill bidding .. push the bid up to find out what the proxy limit is of the high bidder the difference is that Halverez could see the proxy limit .. some one not an insider has to bid up a name to find out what the oppositions proxy limit is ..

I am not insinuating that this is the case here just that your style of auction leaves that door open ..

How is 'our style' of auction be any more vunerable to shill bidding than any other auction? I don't understand? Shill bidding means the owner of the domain putting in a fake bid to try and encourage other bidders to bid more or increase their bid if they have a higher proxy. It has nothing to do with extensions at the end
A delay/extension of time after a bid in the closing minutes would be far more preferable than the current format .. thats why the hammer falls three times before an item is knocked down to the highest bidder in the real auction world .. makes more money for the vendor and the auctioneer ..

Yeah we can look at that. Might put a vote up in another thread to see whether most people would want it or not.

Look, Max, I understand you're p***ed because you missed out. I would be too - it's happened to me many times before. However blaming Netfleet, the system or 'the owner of the domain shilling you to find out your proxy' isn't fair.

David ( at netfleet) for all these monthly auctions and drop auctions can you implement email notifications for all bids placed and email notifications for all outbidded bids even in the last minute showing a time stamp of the bids received etc?

Is there a way to also save the history of auctions/ drops so people can see the bid history? http://www.netfleet.com.au/index.php?a=auctions&addfav=842

It would be good to be able to look later at how the auction history bidding went and then the exact times of bids being placed will be clear for all to see later after auctions if needed.

example this is still live so you can see the bid history http://www.netfleet.com.au/index.php?a=d&id=183308. But once it sells you cant see the bid history..... It would be better to be able to have the full bid history saved so you can look at it later here by clicking on the name that sold and then the bid history comes up etc http://www.netfleet.com.au/domain-sales

This might help out with some questions people are having. ( Would also be interesting to see how many bids are placed in the last few closing seconds of the auctions)

Domainnames - yes maybe we can change the emails so they come right up to the end. Just bear in mind that if you get outbid with 10 secs to go, by the time you get an email, the auction will be over. Email notifications are a safeguard but no substitute for being live on the site.

As for bid history - it's saved on the snapper auctions for 30 mins or so following close. We will see if we can svae for 24 hours or so if you like.

Got a bit of work to do on the aftermarket auctions - want to include metrics for domains too for example.

Max

Top Contributor
Hi Guys,

I purchased this domain and I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

I put in a proxy bid with just a few seconds to go and won it.

From reading this thread I am uncertain as to what this issue is?

SM

Congratulations Shaun .. so your the expert online bidder

//I put in a proxy bid with just a few seconds to go and won it.//

not minutes huh ..

//From reading this thread I am uncertain as to what this issue is?//

My issue is that i was the winning bidder when the count down clock stopped .. there was no way for me to know that there was any other bid on cars.net.au until the auction was over .. however thats not your issue ..

Again congrats .. glad to see that the name has gone to a good home ..

Oz.

Top Contributor
Hi Guys,

I purchased this domain and I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

I put in a proxy bid with just a few seconds to go and won it.

From reading this thread I am uncertain as to what this issue is?

SM
I guessed it was you who won the cars.net.au auction.

Congrats Shaun on the buy.

WG2010

Archived Member
I'm wondering how big a factor is latency when bidding in the last few seconds of an auction... Maybe it's time to pay someone to write an auction sniper for NF/Drop like you do on eBay to bid at the very last second.

Shane

Top Contributor
It all seems incredibly simple to me - just put in your highest bid and hope that yous is the highest. If your highest possible price is $10k and you put that in with 2 seconds to go, then someone else puts in $11k with one second to go, what does it matter? You were only ever going up to $10k anyway. If you're upset afterwards for not winning, well too bad you should have put in a higher bid when you had the chance.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but at the end of the day the highest bidder wins regardless of whether they bid in the first few seconds of the auction or the last few seconds of the auction.

Max

Top Contributor
This auction system is more akin to a tender system put in your highest bid/tender prior to the tender closing time open the tender envelope and the highest tender wins ..

I thought that when i made a bid of $5,100 45 minutes before close (there were no other bids except the start bid) that bid would be the recorded bid .. not a bid of $5001 .. whats the point of having an auction thats not really an auction it's a tender ..

I am not usually active in domain auctions these days but from my past dealings with this type of thing at Snapnames and the like a trick to note apart from being very good a last second bidding is to make an auction bid of an odd amount not round your bid off in $10 or $100 increments make you offer to end in an odd amount ie: $5103, 6,7, or 9, i forgot about these things so my game has slipped some what .. not that that is the issue here time to react to an unseen bid was the issue ..

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member