What's new

Aftermarket Auction Open

soj

Founder
Neither of you Netfleet guys, DavidL and Mark accept private messages on Dntrade .. very strange .. so in the event of a complaint would prefer that such things be posted in public in the hope of a response from you ?

Sorry, that would be my fault, I am doing a bit of moving around of usergroups, they were in the Verified group which had PM's switched off, should be all working now.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Hi Max,

So your complaint is why is there no time added onto our auctions following a last minute bid.

I thought I would address publically in case other people have the same question.

The answer is no, we do not add time on the the auctions. They finish on the dot at 3pm. Just like Ebay, for example.

I'm sorry you were outbid in the last few minutes. My advice is always to put a proxy at the absolute max that you would be prepared to pay knowing that it will automatically reduce to the lowest possible to win the domain.

If current bid is $50, say and you think the domain is worth $2000, make that $2000 proxy - don't be tempted to think 'It's only $50 so I'll just pop a bid of $200' because you might get beaten.

Hope that helps

Cheers

David

James

Top Contributor
cars.net.au and insurance.net.au were hot domains.... even in the .net.au extension ;)

Shane

Top Contributor
Insurance.net.au would have been nice, but didn't want it badly enough to pay $8k.

I noticed that insurance.com.au is languishing down on page 5 when your search Google for insurance. I know it's a super competitive term, but I thought the site would have done better given the exact match domain and a reasonably well developed site.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Insurance.net.au would have been nice, but didn't want it badly enough to pay $8k.

I noticed that insurance.com.au is languishing down on page 5 when your search Google for insurance. I know it's a super competitive term, but I thought the site would have done better given the exact match domain and a reasonably well developed site.

Just poorly seo'd on and off-page I think.

You're right with that domain, a page 1 results would be pretty easy with a few tweaks to that site

Honan

Top Contributor
Bad luck Max
I feel for you mate
Next time bid more
Oh thats right! You will never ever see a name like cars.net.au again
If it is any consolation , I bet BMG have very deep pockets and wouild have outbid you no matter what your proxy was
The more people that believe the hype that .net.au is no good for SEO the better for the true believers

Oz.

Top Contributor
Bad luck Max
I feel for you mate
Next time bid more
If it is any consolation , I bet BMG have very deep pockets and wouild have outbid you no matter what your proxy was
BMG are the seller.
Not sure who the buyer is.

The more people that believe the hype that .net.au is no good for SEO the better for the true believers
100% agree.

Nova

Top Contributor
David, when will the next auction be online? The site still shows last week's auction.

Nova

DavidL

Top Contributor
Hi Nova,

It will be next month 15th March - doing them monthly for the moment. We'll be implementing a system where domains in standard listings can be pushed to an instant auction of their very own, if that makes sense.

Wondering whether we should do that for other domains too - ie you can start an auction of any domain at any time. What do you guys reckon? Or would it be better to have a regular aftermarket auction seperate to the little 'push to auction' auctions?

Nova

Top Contributor
Personally I'd rather see a simple 'Additional Info' field available when making offers to sellers. I can only assume the reason it's not there is to prevent people adding info on how to complete the transaction outside of NetFleet. It'd just be nice to add a personal touch of sorts to the offer.

The other feature it'd be nice to see is a 'see all domains from this seller' feature, but I mentioned it previously and I think the reaction was mixed from memory. It could help by allowing a user to negotiate for multiple domains from the same vendor for a cheaper price and hence potentially quicker sale.

Max

Top Contributor
Hi Max,

So your complaint is why is there no time added onto our auctions following a last minute bid.

I thought I would address publically in case other people have the same question.

The answer is no, we do not add time on the the auctions. They finish on the dot at 3pm. Just like Ebay, for example.

I'm sorry you were outbid in the last few minutes. My advice is always to put a proxy at the absolute max that you would be prepared to pay knowing that it will automatically reduce to the lowest possible to win the domain.

If current bid is $50, say and you think the domain is worth $2000, make that $2000 proxy - don't be tempted to think 'It's only $50 so I'll just pop a bid of $200' because you might get beaten.

Hope that helps

Cheers

David

David,

I have to take you to task on this issue seeing that you elected to take it public ..

//So your complaint is why is there no time added onto our auctions following a *last minute* bid.//

David there was no last minute bid. I was on that auction for the last 45 minutes .. there was no other bid during that time .. when the clock stopped i was the high bidder .. when the page refeshed the notice said that i had been out bid by $1 .. there was nothing, nada, zilch, to indicate to me that there was an over bid, nothing on the site no email notification nothing .. who ever placed the over bid and sucked up my proxy limit did it in a millisecond! .. i doudt that even the best online auction expert could wait till the auction end was within milliseconds of closing before placing a bid .. indeed it appears they did so .. consider that they are an expert in live auction bidding ..

I still have no notification of being out bid .. i have had no response from Netfleet to my site contact submission .. thats poor form ..

The auction format is poorly implemented .. what you want bidders to do is place a proxy to the extreme end of what they might be prepared to pay .. this may be ok if one is not in attendance .. i was live on the site ..

This is an auction for C*sake .. people do stupid things at auctions .. they can pay a lot more for something than they intended to at the begining it's in the heat of the moment thats what auctions are geared to do ..

Your auction is open to being 'gamed' 'Halverez' style shill bidding .. push the bid up to find out what the proxy limit is of the high bidder the difference is that Halverez could see the proxy limit .. some one not an insider has to bid up a name to find out what the oppositions proxy limit is ..

I am not insinuating that this is the case here just that your style of auction leaves that door open ..

A delay/extension of time after a bid in the closing minutes would be far more preferable than the current format .. thats why the hammer falls three times before an item is knocked down to the highest bidder in the real auction world .. makes more money for the vendor and the auctioneer ..

Max

Top Contributor
Bad luck Max
I feel for you mate
Next time bid more

Thx for your commiserations Joe .. it was a last hour decision to have a go at it ..

//Next time bid more//

i may have if i had had the chance to ..

//Oh thats right! You will never ever see a name like cars.net.au again//

Correct but was it worth it ? the name has two problems .. the bleed to the .com if developed .. Carnet have TM in Australia that could possibly cause a problem to a new owner ..

I already have a single word Cars. in a foreign extension .. I considered it an expensive trophy name un suited to a full developed website ..

Max :)

DomainNames

Top Contributor
David ( at netfleet) for all these monthly auctions and drop auctions can you implement email notifications for all bids placed and email notifications for all outbidded bids even in the last minute showing a time stamp of the bids received etc?

Is there a way to also save the history of auctions/ drops so people can see the bid history? http://www.netfleet.com.au/index.php?a=auctions&addfav=842

It would be good to be able to look later at how the auction history bidding went and then the exact times of bids being placed will be clear for all to see later after auctions if needed.

example this is still live so you can see the bid history http://www.netfleet.com.au/index.php?a=d&id=183308. But once it sells you cant see the bid history..... It would be better to be able to have the full bid history saved so you can look at it later here by clicking on the name that sold and then the bid history comes up etc http://www.netfleet.com.au/domain-sales

This might help out with some questions people are having. ( Would also be interesting to see how many bids are placed in the last few closing seconds of the auctions)

Last edited:

Shaun

Top Contributor
Hi Guys,

I purchased this domain and I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

I put in a proxy bid with just a few seconds to go and won it.

From reading this thread I am uncertain as to what this issue is?

SM

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members