What's new

Adsense question - ad units - single page but with page breaks

shags38

Top Contributor
I don't know the issue you two have with each other and I'll ignore that but:

From what I was reading yesterday, it is often more profitable with say 2 as opposed to 3 adsense blocks. The reasons for this is that it will often run out of ads to display if you use 3 on a page. As well as this, your most profitable ad may be in the middle of the page which may mean that 2 other ads will have already taken the most profitable ads.

Also, having a zillion ads means that your bounce rate will go up as people will leave your site far quicker.

These are my opinions combined with a small amount of research. I think I'm right but happy to be proven wrong :)

I would agree Sparky - it may in fact be that some pages have 1, some 2 and some 3 - it doesn't have to be a set number right throughout a site of 300 plus pages, mix it up a bit. As long as the suggested maximum per page is not exceeded through lack of knowledge of that number.

My query has well and truly been answered - 3 is the max - thanks gents. Oh, and it's OK, I will pick up the rattles thrown from the prams. :D

I don't think I will ask the next logical questions of placement, size and colour as I do not wish to be responsible for WW3 :rolleyes:

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
I'll answer that one :) Have the colours suite your site but don't let them blend in too much. That's my guess/thoughts

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I don't think I will ask the next logical questions of placement, size and colour as I do not wish to be responsible for WW3 :rolleyes:
In my experience the larger adblocks that are blended into the background with the typical blue link colour perform the best.

This is the tried and true combination - but it definitely shouldn't be assumed this is the best. Testing always trumps opinion.

The same goes for positioning.

I have been using AdSesne since 2004, and after awhile you just stop messing around with trying to improve your AdSesne optimisation and move onto content, linkbuilding tasks, etc (there is only so much blood you can squeeze out of a stone).

Yet less than a month ago, I had a new Wordpress theme designed, had it designed to have a link unit in one place, and it performed so so, and at first I just put it down to the site's content, but then I decided, I really should at least test, and I moved it to two different positions (that were not far from the original position at all), and as a result one position improved the performance by about 100% and the other improved the performance by 200%!

Just goes to show testing is what is important.

Also on another wordpress design, I decided to opt into image and text ads ona 250 x 300 unit - because "Google recommends it". Less than a month later I was already back to purely text ads - Google doesn't always know best aye.

Same goes for ad sizes, Google might say that the 300 x 250 ad block has the most inventory and as such with get your the best results, but in my experience the 336 x 300 still outperforms (80% of the time).

Once again just test test test.

People's opinions are worthless.

:p

DavidL

Top Contributor
Also on another wordpress design, I decided to opt into image and text ads ona 250 x 300 unit - because "Google recommends it". Less than a month later I was already back to purely text ads - Google doesn't always know best aye.

I was coming on to ask that very question because I suspected Google was giving a bum steer. Anyone else concur?

joe

Top Contributor
i like 728x90 up top and 336x280 down the bottom, blue links, text only

i rarely pay any attention to google's recommendations

i don't test much anymore, i get a decent CTR and any higher might attract unwanted attention

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo