1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth Challenge - overview

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by neddy, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ScottNugent

ScottNugent Membership: VIP

Thanks Andrew! And thanks Ned! Very excited!

2. ScottNugent

ScottNugent Membership: VIP

And the Change of Registrant is COMPLETE! Thanks so much to Ned and the community for this!

3. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Hope you found the exercise worthwhile Scott. Good luck with it. :)

4. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    now what?

i think this was a great idea and could be expanded and have some fun, maybe a "state of origin" eg: a student from each state gets 1,2,3? mentors from that state, instead of giving a domain perhaps starting them from nothing. or it could be like members commit and then source a local teenager though the high school to mentor and then all share, we could find the next "facebook inventor" ?

every communication would be done via the forum after the student is selected. i have an example of this which i'd like to share, so i will make it the next post for those who don't want to read it.

5. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    mentoring

I play golf and i moved to melbourne to be with helena ( as i can work anywhere ) and didn't know anyone so a few years back i was playing golf on a tuesday (by myself as i didn't know anyone in melb ) and i lobbed up on the 4th hole behind 3 retired guys who invited me to join them, anyway at the end of the 18 holes and having a drink they pretty much knew me by then , they asked if i'd like to play in their annual "four ball best ball" comp in 6 weeks time ( i hit a LONGGGGGGGGGGG ball off the tee so i think they saw a winning potential LOL ) . it was on a monday so i said ok.

So the 4 of us once again tee'd up and @ the 10th one of the blokes said "do you know why we are here"? of course i said no, and then the 3 of them proceeded to tell me their story.

just before WW2 there was a big gap in the wealthy and the poor and a philanthropist started an organisation "The Lord Somers Camp 1929" which took rich boys and poor boys on a summer camp, each boy was teamed with another rich+poor , and then the leaders tutored them over the summer in both rich knowledge and poor knowledge thus giving the boys a feel for the other side of the coin, these 3 blokes were in the camp in 1953 and have stayed friends ever since.

I think we should get on this band wagon, not just for the kids but i am certain we will learn from it, we are getting older and out of touch with whats REALLY happening.

well, i just thought i'd place a spark under some good wood.

tim

PS: the whole comp was ex camp participants, @ 70 guys.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  6. acheeva

acheeva Membership: VIP

Great idea Ned

Not sure about the State of Origin thing though

Lets give the guys from NSW crew some reprieve; they have enough places already where they can go to get (or be reminded) of a flogging