What's new

wouldnt it be nice

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Just reading some old stories about surprising amounts domain names sell for ( without website) Imagine registering ireport.com years ago..who would have thought it would fetch $750,000 . Most names are one word generic names that sell for these amounts. Just goes to show you never really know what a domain name will sell for or who will want it bad enough to pay heaps for it one day

http://domainnamewire.com/2008/01/17/cnn-buys-ireportcom-for-750000/

CNN Buys iReport.com for $750,000
Thursday, January 17th, 2008
Rick Schwartz sells domain name to media company.

Rick Schwartz has sold the domains iReport.com and i-Report.com to Turner Broadcasting System, parent of CNN, reports DNJournal. The purchase price was $750,000.

The outspoken Schwartz, the self-proclaimed “Domain King”, is known for his bullish view on domain names and for creating the popular T.R.A.F.F.I.C. domain conferences.

CNN has an iReport program where individuals can submit video news. iReport was launched in 2006. A check of historical whois records at DomainTools shows that Schwartz has owned this domain since at least 2002.

This is an example of what can happen when a large company realizes the value of a generic domain and a seller is not in a hurry to sell. Schwartz owns many premium domain names and only sells to people who are serious. In the hands of another domainer, this domain could have sold for $25,000 or less.

It will be interesting to hear the complete story, including if CNN came directly to Schwartz to buy the domain or went through a third party. I’m also curious how much type-in traffic the domain received after CNN launched its program.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member