What's new

Would you vote in favour of reforming auDA?

Should auDA be Reformed or Replaced?

• Reform it

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Replace it with a new entity

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

snoopy

Top Contributor
So the government report on auDA is out and the options are clear, either there is constitutional reform or it is replaced by a new entity.

Obviously the exact reforms aren't clear but what is your gut feeling, would you be likely to support reform or should it go to a new entity?

Cheyne

Top Contributor
What do you mean the exact reforms aren't clear? The report gives 29 recommendations that the Government wants to see implemented. It's pretty black and white if you ask me!

snoopy

Top Contributor
What do you mean the exact reforms aren't clear? The report gives 29 recommendations that the Government wants to see implemented. It's pretty black and white if you ask me!

The number of elected directors and membership structure are not yet clear.

Lemon

Top Contributor
The number of elected directors and membership structure are not yet clear.

Conditions - (Governments terms of endorsement)
That the .au domain administrator has:
a governance structure which includes the following characteristics:
  • an independent process that can provide assurances of the suitability of candidates considered for board appointments, such as a Nomination Committee
  • a board that has the collective mix of technical and corporate skills, and industry experience, to effectively administer the .au namespace
  • a board that appoints a majority of directors who are independent of the organisation, including the Chair
  • appointment terms that support ongoing board renewal
  • a Board Charter that outlines the roles and responsibilities of the board, Chair and CEO and the basis for appointment of the Chair.

The Review is fairly clear that the current governance structure does not work. They have suggested 2 alternative membership structures. I would lean towards the single membership model as this would be easier to manage from an operations point of view. Whichever way it goes down the Members will no longer have the ability to capture the organisation from a board level.

The (recommended) Nomination Commitee will have only 1 auDA Member in its makeup. (I will wait to see auDA's plan because this is not set in stone). Also the first Nomination Committee will be appointed by the Government. The Nomination Committee will put forward candidates for the membership to elect.

As to the makeup of the Board. Obviously more independents, members unknown. 3 year terms and max 2 terms.
My best guess would be 6 Independents (inc Chair) - 3 Members
Alternatively 7 - 4, 7 - 3, 6 - 2
While the independents would bring governance skills the members would bring the industry experience. It's just a question of balance.

It does not matter if it is auDA or a new entity the conditions imposed by the Government remain the same.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member