What's new

worldcup.com.au

Ashman

Top Contributor
Any suggestions on what to do with worldcup.com.au ?

I was asked to do a joint venture on developing it but might be worth more to sell.

Any feedback for be welcomed.

Ash

snoopy

Top Contributor
In my view it is going to be very hard to do much with this in a way that wouldn't raise potential trademark issues. As a name in isolation it is unlikely to be lost but once it is targeted to a particular sport there is potential issues in my view. Not saying anyone will necessarily go after it but it is a drain on value I think because mid-large co's wouldn't risk using it.

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
dangerous, but is "worldcup " trademarked in OZ? i thnk it would be hard to trademark such a generic term, i'm sure rugby league would not let soccor do it etc etc , if not just because i associate it with soccor doesn't mean its not brandable for someone else, eg netball, table tennis, chess etc

think outside the square.

hold onto it and see what happens, maybe the worldcup of snooker or poker comes to australia then that is a valid reason to do another joint venture.

i can see it now on foxtel, bla bla poker every night 7pm from august 2nd, go to the website www.worldcup.com.au

Ashman

Top Contributor
There is no trademark and Tim is right, would not be able to trademark such a generic term given that it applies so broadly.

Great idea about using it for future joint ventures. Would it be possible to lease the domain for a fixed period when such events are in Australia?

snoopy

Top Contributor
hold onto it and see what happens, maybe the worldcup of snooker or poker comes to australia then that is a valid reason to do another joint venture.

i can see it now on foxtel, bla bla poker every night 7pm from august 2nd, go to the website www.worldcup.com.au

I guess there is potential to sell it to sell it to one of the official bodies, I think the issues start with say a third party using it as a site about the soccer world cup or the rugby world cup. The safest way is probably just to sit on it in my view and be very careful with what is on the page. The alternative is to do whatever with it and perhaps maximise revenue potential but have in the back of your mind it could be pulled into a costly dispute.

I think the term is "generic" in that it is applied to many sports but that doesn't make it safe to use in relation to any sport.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo