1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

WordPress Security Tips

Discussion in 'Guest Articles' started by FirstPageResults, May 30, 2012.

1. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
  2. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

Logged on to email just as i received 22 hack reports for my wordpress site www.ohthankgod.com and although the hacks were averted i instantly went to hosting and banned that suckers ip address ........just as i got hack report 23

3. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

In Russia, wordpress hacks you...****in

4. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
  5. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    This is available in InfiniteWP too.

6. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I really like the idea of being able to self-host InfiniteWP. A big plus.

Cheers,
    Chris

7. aus11

aus11 Membership: VIP

+1

I set InfiniteWP up on a spare domain I had, and have it running for all my sites now. Makes updating an absolute breeze!

8. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I can't stress this enough for all the new users out there.

http://screencast.com/t/ARS1MHDBX

I have Wordfence set to automatically block users who use an invalid username to try login. But it's annoying the amount of times they try.

Paul.

9. petermeadit

petermeadit Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Yup blog any and all brute force...

I will second that. So important to use something like Wordfence, and block any brute force attacks.

I often block entire countries because nothing useful come from there but repeated login attempts and fake google bots.

Dare you to turn on email notifications for each invalid login attempt... :D

10. Blue Wren

Blue Wren Membership: VIP

One of the best purchases I made last year: InfiniteWP.

11. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I have them on. I have it set to block anyone who tries an invalid username for 24 hours. Then I generally block them permanently.

12. petermeadit

auDA Member:
    Yes
    How do you reckon it stacks up again ManageWP? Or Worpit?

Like: ManageWP vs. InfiniteWP vs. Worpit.

be interested to hear opinions.

13. Blue Wren

Blue Wren Membership: VIP

I haven't used the others so I couldn't give a fair assessment. :)

14. petermeadit

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I have ManageWP up and running and loving it. Worth the money I'd say.

15. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    the thread is old but still bloody good value to read, starting with chris's contribution.

i'm winding down for 2014, looking towards 2015 and wondering were i should head with security on WP as its been my BIGGEST headache this year.

wordfence has done a great job, i dabbled into infinitewp but didn't go whole hog but i'm leaning towards it now over the xmas break.

just wanted to reignite the question again, wordfence / managewp / infinitewp / sucuri + others , whats the general feeling of a good combination ?

tim

petermeadit likes this.
  16. Christopher

Christopher Membership: Community

Your right @findtim really old thread but a goodie. Probably wasn't wise to post your exact password methods in hindsight.
    At any rate reading the ops thread.

Setting your server file permisions to 666 is a bad idea, which is read and write, user, group, others. Your giving front end attacks write permissions. The recommended lockdown file permission is 444 which is read user, group, others. 444 means that even if someone breaks into your site they can't change your htaccess file, or any other file with that permission. Ie the wp-config file. If you look closely at ithemes security, this is the permission it changes the files too, on a complete lock down. And you generally realize this, when your cache plugin wants to write to it and fails.

And the dreaded 777 mentioned as well, is read write and execute, user (your ftp or control panel) group (your site internal access) others (external web traffic). Typically a site falls victim to shell scripts that then leave this shiny great big door open, for others to penetrate the server and reek havoc network wide.

If your host supports Jail host, I suggest implementing it per site. Jail host is a way of sand boxing every domain in your vps, or shared hosting plan, as if it was in its own vps plan. So the highest level some with a shell script can go is the root of your domain. Here is a good wiki write up on Jail host. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD_jail

17. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    what else have i been doing in 2016 which has helped?
    move login plugin, i saw instant results https://wordpress.org/plugins/sf-move-login/
    change wp prefix, https://wordpress.org/plugins/db-prefix-change/, very simpleeeeee
    wordfence, free version, take the time to look at setup intrustions or watch a youtube on it, block "admin" but also block the letters " .com" , ".com.au"
    sucuri, free version, its pretty gutless but does give you some warnings, the "hardening" page is the best part of it.
    infinitewp is good, just make sure you have allocated enough space on your server to hold at least 3 packups.
    don't let website owner use their name as admin login + use nickname field for posts " team, staff, owner, kanagroo :) "

tim

Christopher likes this.
  18. Christopher

Christopher Membership: Community

Don't use the admin role at all for posting, If its your site or client, set up an editor account. If that gets hacked into, because it is the one posting, their is not much they can do, except delete posts, which you would have a backup of. And never log into your site as admin on an open of free wifi hotspot. Even most private wifi routers broad cast some packets in plain text. When you log in via standard ftp the credentials can be intercepted. So hense have an editor role for content production.

19. robert

robert Membership: Community

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I swear by WordFence plugin (setup correctly and change login attempts to 3 and reset every 10 days) and also as Johnno said, never leave ADMIN as the login. I literally have THOUSANDS of attacks every day across 120 wordpress sites and WordFence never fails me.