What's new

WooCommerce/WooThemes "Woo" Domains

chris

Top Contributor
A storm is brewing around the use of "woo" in domain names. As someone that has a few WordPress related sites, I've always followed the topic with interest.

The short version is that "wp" is ok - "wordpress" isn't, but you can redirect it. The full blurb here:

"For various reasons related to our WordPress trademark, we ask if you’re going to start a site about WordPress or related to it that you not use “WordPress” in the domain name. Try using “wp” instead, or another variation. We’re not lawyers, but very good ones tell us we have to do this to preserve our trademark. Also, many users have told us they find it confusing.

If you already have a domain with “WordPress” in it, redirecting it to the “wp” equivalent is fine, just as long as the main one users see and you promote doesn’t contain “WordPress” and in the long term you should consider transferring the old one to the Foundation.

“WordPress” in sub-domains is fine, like wordpress.example.com, we’re just concerned about top-level domains.

We’ve told this to anyone who has ever asked us, we just wanted to make it public so more people could be aware of this policy."

https://wordpress.org/about/domains/

There are quite a few sites that have ignored this or don't know these guidelines exist, but within the WordPress community it's fairly well known.

Automattic not too long ago acquired WooThemes and WooCommerce have been recently started contacting sites with "woo" in the domain. There's a lot of discussion happening, since there a few legitimate businesses that have been built using "woo" such as ignitewoo, woorocket, wooassist etc.

There's a lot of good discussion on domain use and trade marks taking place, and much more to it than what I've covered. Here's a sample of the recent posts:

http://www.wpmayor.com/automattic-woo-domain-name/

http://wptavern.com/automattic-is-protecting-its-woo-woothemes-and-woocommerce-trademarks

https://bradgriffin.me/has-automattic-been-legally-granted-rights-to-woo-woothemes-and-woocommerce/

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Horshack

Top Contributor
Hi Chris, I was looking for details on woothemes and scripts recently and it became difficult to tell what was original or 3rd party so I can understand the issue. Typing woo into codecanyon shows the problem. I ended up on a website called ignitewoo from memory and there's no mention of whether it was associated with woocommerce etc. Normally sites have a disclaimer if the trademark belongs to someone else but I couldn't see one on that site.

findtim

Top Contributor
a very polite request by wordpress "........Try using “wp” instead, or another variation. We’re not lawyers, but very good ones tell us...", it certainly would make me honour it.
its a hard subject once started, were do you draw the line, wp is a good OUT to wordpress and surely JUST woo should be the same, ingnitewoo is trademarked !
i think they will have problems so they will pick on the smallest first imo.
normally i'd say at this time "but people like ignite are helpign make woo better " but the reality is MONEY. woo want you to buy their extensions and thems which aren't expensive until you want support or an upgrade, a few times my request has just been ignored, never a reply after many attempts, themes get sold stating it includes certain plugins but you can't upgrade them as they don't end up in your envato account.
so once you add a few paid plugins, then have to re-pay every 6 months !!!!!! you start to wonder if its worth it.
tim

xwdomains

Top Contributor
So owning a domain such as wordpress themes would not be a good idea I see the dot com redirected to wphub.com now.

findtim

Top Contributor
yes, its kinda like if you don't register it someone else will, then respect wordpress's wishes and call it wpsomething
there's mannnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy examples out there of similar domains
tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members