What's new

Wollongong.com.au going crazy

johno69

Top Contributor
Now to sell it back to Wollongong council for double the price.

Why waste it?

It's almost an unlimited revenue stream. Had I bid the same on both platforms I would have it now.

So easy to turn that into a juicy monthly pay check IMO.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Why waste it?

It's almost an unlimited revenue stream. Had I bid the same on both platforms I would have it now.

So easy to turn that into a juicy monthly pay check IMO.

Right on. Perfect for a commercial Directory Tourism/ travel booking/ leads site.

maybe even better to be in private commercial hands instead of Government who can use www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au anyway

findtim

Top Contributor
Netfleet's new system cost them a few dollars today.

true johno69

yes I slagged the domain off earlier but then realised a different angle for it to be profitable.

once again I was in on this domain today but client didn't like the NF system potential of bidding high so didn't give me the money I wanted, in my view this domain went for far to cheap.

I think NF lost 4-7K today on just that domain.

tim

James

Top Contributor
true johno69

in my view this domain went for far to cheap.

I think NF lost 4-7K today on just that domain.

tim

Tim yesterday: "I can't see it going over $6 , this $2500 is just a scare off bid."

Tim today: "Domain went for far to cheap.
I think NF lost 4-7K today"

Haha I think you were bidding on it =)

A lesson to learn about why NOT to use staff member email addresses as registrant contacts..

The staff menger at Council is no longer there.. thus no emails got to council decision maker to renew

Let's see if they are fast enough getting set up with drop and netfleet accounts to start bidding..apparently they got some calls leting them know it was dropping today

They do have Wollongong.com Are they better to use it like nsw Government uses Sydney.com instead of sydney.com.au? Less policy red tape. cheaper prices more global etc? Do younger people now know .com names better than .com.au?

Hey Domain Names, I agree this is a good reason not to use staff email addresses for registrant contact emails.

With regard to use of domain names, I think .au domains have a lot going for them and people can identify that it means Australian. It is also interesting to see the level of trust people have when using credit cards on line with .au domains - check out the recent research report that was put together by auDA and AusRegistry. There are some really interesting results, which show why .au is a top choice for domain names.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Hey Domain Names, I agree this is a good reason not to use staff email addresses for registrant contact emails.

With regard to use of domain names, I think .au domains have a lot going for them and people can identify that it means Australian. It is also interesting to see the level of trust people have when using credit cards on line with .au domains - check out the recent research report that was put together by auDA and AusRegistry. There are some really interesting results, which show why .au is a top choice for domain names.

I do agree with the report but of course auDA and Ausregistry are biased and will always push the need for Australian companies to use a .com.au.

Maybe they need to push the government to buy sydney.com.au since they already own and use sydney.com and see the end user / customer/ user government response why they chose.com instead of .com.au in a good example.

I suggest if people can afford it buy both the .com and .com.au at all times..( I wouldnt worry about .net or .net.au but some people do make a good business out of them ) of course .com started earlier and they got snatched up earlier, are worth a lot more as they are global, less cost to register, less red tape, less policy restrictions, no Change of registrant costs, open registration for anyone who wants them, easier to buy and sell etc.......

findtim

Top Contributor
Hey Domain Names, I agree this is a good reason not to use staff email addresses for registrant contact emails

something I TRY to insist on in dev work, if you search me you will probably think I own a lot more domains then I do as I have them all my clients domains running via ME so a "Wollongong" doesn't happen.

also I try to insist on not creating susan@ and jenny@ , I prefer admin@ sales@ accounts@

I know these get spam attacked more but in the long run you do not lose the link

tim

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I think dubbodentist.com is available ?

tim

Why havent you registered the .com extension when it's available? Just registering the .com.au doesnt cover yourself against competitors etc.

A lot of people still only know .com and thats the first thing they look for or type in

Cover your bases register them both when they are available... Im thinking of registering dubbodentist.com to prove the point to the owner of dubbodentist.com.au... hopefully they are fast with their .com hand reg when they read this :)

findtim

Top Contributor
Why havent you registered the .com extension when it's available? Just registering the .com.au doesnt cover yourself against competitors etc.

A lot of people still only know .com and thats the first thing they look for or type in

Cover your bases register them both when they are available... Im thinking of registering dubbodentist.com to prove the point to the owner of dubbodentist.com.au... hopefully they are fast with their .com hand reg when they read this :)

go for it, i'll get the SEO bleed :)

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
You don't think the .com is worth the $5 cost to register it also? Grab it

I'd rather you saved your money and buy me a beer.

imho dubbodentist.com is a waste of time and money, as would be cairnsdentist.com

cairnsresort/s.com on the other hand would be worth purchasing as they have a potential international market.

Sydney dot com is valid as is Sydney dot com au as you have gone up a level of domain cred.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members