What's new

Which web development programs?

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Im not just talking about WP...its a potential pitfall with any cloudbased development/file storage, not just web design. The Uni uses a few cloud computing development programs and the flaws in them become really obvious when you think you have something nailed down and when it comes up for assessment some elements are changed (or disappear altogether) yet we are meant to be responsible for a system we dont control.

Cloud Computing in general is a pet hate of mine. It does have its uses, but some aspects just leave people and companies wide open in relation to security...thats all I'm saying.

Disclaimer: Not saying there are issues with WP, the discussion is about Cloud Based computing in general.

Cheers Jay

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
Delayed response but the reason I stick with notepad++ etc is that you will then understand coding, so that when you do migrate to Wordpress etc, you're not limited to the plugins and themes available but can make adjustments quite easily on your own. What I'm saying is that the theme for your wordpress site begins in Notepad.

djuqa

Top Contributor
For the design process use Artisteer 4, however the paid version is preferable to the Free version
It offers easy migration of resultant theme design to the following choices

HTML stand-alone site
Wordpress
Joomla! -
Drupal
and yes even Microsoft Expression
So all bases are covered.
The design can be totally developed offline and uploaded when needed.
Outputs easily modified HTML, code and CSS files for fine tuning

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Another Q, is WP cloud based online design or is it independant of the web (able to do your own thing offline and upload to your host when ready)?

Forget your issues with the cloud, you're just confusing yourself and this whole thread unnecessarily.

Yes you can edit your WP site offline and upload it.

Go search on YouTube for expression web and WP.

petermeadit

Top Contributor
Can't beat WordPress for any kind of small to medium website, even large website. Over 60% of all websites on the Interwebs are WP.

If you don't know any coding, then use Artisteer for drag and drop offline designing. Or purchase a good premium theme like WooThemes Canvas, with a lot of configurable options to play with.

HTH. :)

findtim

Top Contributor
goldnugget you are making something hard when its so simple, i look forward to your post next year that says " oh shit..... you guys where right..... i should have gone wordpress"

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member