What's new

Which Domain Would You Use?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
OK so I'm passionate about investing (not just domain investing) and I have been thinking about starting a site about shares/property/general investing for a long time...

And well I was thinking why not build a forum - you may or may not have noticed I do spend quite a bit of time on them.

I own these three domains:

shareforum.com.au
investingforum.com.au
investmentforums.com.au

Which one would you build on?

snoopy

Top Contributor
None of these terms really have any popularity so I would say it is down to what sounds best. Inclined to go with share forum since it is more focused. People tend to be either keen about shares or keen about property, not both, so I think a general investment forum may not go down that well. That said there is no real money in the niche when it comes to forums.

payattention

Archived Member
I'd look at something other than a forum as you'd have a tough time getting enough momentum with sites like HC around.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
None of these terms really have any popularity so I would say it is down to what sounds best.
Not a huge volume of people are looking for forums, but if I'm going to be running a forum, may as well choose a relevant name, even if the metrics aren't amazing.

It's not ALWAYS about metrics...

;)

Inclined to go with share forum since it is more focused. People tend to be either keen about shares or keen about property, not both, so I think a general investment forum may not go down that well. That said there is no real money in the niche when it comes to forums.
This site wouldn't be all about the money - it would actually just be somewhere to talk about investing - which I really enjoy discussing - I'm a member on other AU investment forums and I don't think they are all that great and I think I can do a better job.

As long as the site breaks even I'd be happy.

I'd look at something other than a forum as you'd have a tough time getting enough momentum with sites like HC around.
HotCopper?

findtim

Top Contributor
shareforum.com.au, ? shares or sharing feelings?
investingforum.com.au , best of the bunch but not the best possible.
investmentforums.com.au? plural, there is only one

having said that dntrade doesn't say "domain name" , its what you make it

having been a moderator for a short period of time i can tell you it involves a lot of work, not just sticking some ads on it and making some money, let alone building the following.

best of luck

tim

smee

Top Contributor
I would build on investmentforums.com.au just because it sounds the most natural.

And of course you can make money from a forum if you know how.

xwdomains

Top Contributor
OK so I'm passionate about investing (not just domain investing) and I have been thinking about starting a site about shares/property/general investing for a long time...

And well I was thinking why not build a forum - you may or may not have noticed I do spend quite a bit of time on them.

I own these three domains:

shareforum.com.au
investingforum.com.au
investmentforums.com.au

Which one would you build on?

I would use investing forum has a better ring to it

be aware if you use phbb google will ban your account

good luck

aus11

Top Contributor
I'd going with investingforum.com.au. It sounds the best of the 3. My second choice would be shareforum.com.au but as a couple of people have mentioned, it has multiple meanings - so could get confusing..

Chris.C

Top Contributor
having been a moderator for a short period of time i can tell you it involves a lot of work, not just sticking some ads on it and making some money, let alone building the following.
I have run forums in the past and I'm well aware how hard they can be to get off the ground, and then how hard they can be to manage.

I started running my first forum back in 2004, it grew to 100,000+ members and 1,000,000+ posts... it was a massive headache for the most part, which is why I shut it down in the end.

I must just be a glutton for punish starting another one.

:eek:

be aware if you use phbb google will ban your account
Really!? That's doesn't sound right... what does Google have against phpBB?

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
well this the only discussion I found here related to HotCopper...they are going public (again) at bubble valuation of $22,000,000
Check the IPO prospectus.

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
Sorry Lorenzo I meant do you need one for the share forum that Chris mentioned.

ah!

well...I think no, you don't because HotCopper does not have one but certainly you need to add a lot of legal lingo in order to avoid issues. Probably a chat with a lawyer would be best.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member