What's new

What you use to built multiple sites

ttfan

Top Contributor
For those of you that own a large number of domains that you wish to monetise, what software do you use to build the sites?
I assume you'd want something simple with only a few pages. since you're building a large number of sites?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Most will just park a parking company which supplies landing pages, or they will perhaps use wordrpress to do a few sites, weordpress is an easy Content management system ......... Learn To Blog
~
If you don't know what parking is, it's in my book........ Domain Investing

ttfan

Top Contributor
Thanks spacey, I'll check it out!
Yes I was looking for something smaller & simpler than Wordpress... Wordpress is fairly big and takes maintenance.

findtim

Top Contributor
Yes I was looking for something smaller & simpler than Wordpress... Wordpress is fairly big and takes maintenance.
i think if your host uses Cpanel then WP is a very quick install.
forget about the fact it has the ability to be expandable, it is suitable for just a landing page site or a 3-5 site
i personally think not using WP is a mistake, hand coding will not impress google IMO, i have posted previously on this subject pre panda and penguin but the rules still apply in my belief, "create a site, duplicate but change content and rename images "
James is going to roll over and cry LOL !
maintenance = http://infinitewp.com/
-------------

having said all that, if you do not chose parking you will find MASSIVEEEEEE maintenance of out of date affiliate links as they chaneg ALL the time, and there is just a mindfield of other problems associated with it.
if you are a programmer you can get around them but google wil also be onto you and slauter you if it finds out.
i personally don't like parking, but i do it until i dev a domain to a sustainable renenue for my effort.
------------------
times are changing, and the next 5 years will see significant changes in the .com.au , so the "parking" glory days are over IMO
the people who have the good domains make good / nice money , " longtails" not so good but their are exceptions when the news gets a hit eg: dubbodentistkills30people ( take it as a joke please)

parking is easy but not so profitable if you do not have GREAT domains, affiliate links on WP sites is hard yards especially with BS 30 day cookies which only the supplier wins and i have been the supplier so i know, + the supplier changes the offer and you have to go change your website !!! , dev is taking a chance and backing yourself to the end result of creating an online business but you do invest heavily in time and perhaps outsourcing which is $$$$ to then have something to sell.
i'm not trying to put you or anyone else off, just the facts of what i have experienced, pick your strenghts and go do it is my advice

in the end you need the engage your visitor so you get the 2nd click, thats where the money is, the 2nd click

tim

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
My monetisation/parking platform was developed using WordPress. It's super easy to administer, very little maintenance required. I also run a number of other sites on WordPress, from quite small to quite large and don't see maintenance as a significant burden for those either.

If you're looking for total autopilot on maintenance you could pay for managed WordPress hosting (e.g. WP Engine).

If you're just building 1-3 page 'mini-sites' (I question the value of doing that these days), maybe WordPress multisite would be a good option for central management of all the sites. Multisite would mean using subdomains though.

ttfan

Top Contributor
Thanks guys!
With maintenance I was referring to having to update WP itself, and the plugins all the time, to ensure it remains functional and secure. Since I do already run a few WP site, this seems like a bit of work, although certainly not impossible for less than 10 sites or so.

petermeadit

Top Contributor
If you want a self hosted system for updates and backups etc. infiniteWP is a good package and the basic level is free. You can download the files onto any PHP enabled hosting with a MySQL database available. Just setup the software, and there you have it. A fully enabled multi-site backup and update platform for WordPress.

ManageWP also does this very well and is a great option if you don’t want to host the platform yourself. It is also free for under 5 websites.

There are other options around, but not sure how they stack up. I would like to know if anything else is as good as InfiniteWP and ManageWP.

findtim

Top Contributor
If you want a self hosted system for updates and backups etc. infiniteWP is a good package and the basic level is free.
i think infinite is a good starting point, no money, low risk and if you only have a few domains its a good "dip your toe in the water"
sorry to state the obvious but this subject came up today with a client, "do the numbers" , review your hosting bandwidth, disk space and also your own ISP bandwidth package as you should always look to be able to move things around if you need to.
client had entered into a hosting deal prior to me coming on board and it just simply isn't suitable for his needs, one of those "i got a bargain" type deals, also he is on a lowwwwwwwwww data transfer with his ISP, double whammy
tim

ttfan

Top Contributor
ManageWP also does this very well and is a great option if you don’t want to host the platform yourself. It is also free for under 5 websites.
That does look like a really neat package!
It appears it's now free for an unlimited number of sites!
What's not clear to me is addons. Can you install standard WP addons and themes, or only their addons, for which you have to pay?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member