What's new

What to do with my domain?

VictorT

Hello all,

Couple weeks ago, I was looking for some good domains that are available to register, and came across "energyaustralia.org", and thought it'd be good for a simple information site about energy sources in australia, energy saving methods (since it's a .org and everything) and etc that I could maybe monetize using adsense. So I registered it, but now I don't really have the motivation to develop it and was wondering if the domain has any value in it. Just would like to hear your thoughts on whether the domain is worth developing or should I not waste my time.

Thanks all for reading. :)

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
Personally I wouldn't touch it. Purely based on the fact that it is a .org (not even a .org.au).

Generally you'd be best to stick with .com.au or .com. But hey, prove me wrong and I'll be the first to say job well done. :)

VictorT

Personally I wouldn't touch it. Purely based on the fact that it is a .org (not even a .org.au).

Generally you'd be best to stick with .com.au or .com. But hey, prove me wrong and I'll be the first to say job well done. :)

I guess you're right, not much point developing it further than..:( Just checked some stats, and doesn't look like many people search for the term "energy australia" as well, I guess it's not going to be easy getting traffic for this one.

James

Top Contributor
Isnt Energy Australia a trademark any way, easy to make the mistake buying a generic term to find its trademarked.

VictorT

Isnt Energy Australia a trademark any way, easy to make the mistake buying a generic term to find its trademarked.

I didn't realise it was a trademark until I bought it, and now I don't know what to do with it. Was just searching for some generic terms that're available. :(

DavidL

Top Contributor

As I've said heaps of times, this doesn't neccessarily matter - it depends on the usage of the domain. And I can see a valid use for it as you suggested.

However, if you don't develop it then any complaint that comes along will be harder to defend.

I'd probably drop it tbh - the org doesn't suit Australians who would be your main tagret.

VictorT

As I've said heaps of times, this doesn't neccessarily matter - it depends on the usage of the domain. And I can see a valid use for it as you suggested.

However, if you don't develop it then any complaint that comes along will be harder to defend.

I'd probably drop it tbh - the org doesn't suit Australians who would be your main tagret.

Interesting..
I am new to this, so I am wondering what you guys mean by "dropping" a domain, and how do I go about doing this. Thanks. :D

aus11

Top Contributor
Interesting..
I am new to this, so I am wondering what you guys mean by "dropping" a domain, and how do I go about doing this. Thanks. :D

"Dropping" basically means not renewing it again once the initial registration period is over.

VictorT

"Dropping" basically means not renewing it again once the initial registration period is over.

Ah, thanks. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure if there was another system I wasn't aware of that allowed me to "return" domains.

helloworld

Top Contributor
.org are fine with Australians. In fact, most people still think of .com before they think of .com.au

The problem with this domain is the amount of work you would need to do to have it rank above it's .com.au and then keeping it there.

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
.org are fine with Australians. In fact, most people still think of .com before they think of .com.au

The problem with this domain is the amount of work you would need to do to have it rank above it's .com.au and then keeping it there.

May not be that hard to get it close to it however.

Attachments

• Energy_Australia_Competition_-_Google_AU.pdf
    125 KB · Views: 9

James

Top Contributor
Worthless & trademark issues. Let it drop.

Bad advice.

I remember seeing some research where Australian shoppers thoughts that .com.au domains were a trusted source in which only businesses can acquire where as other TLD's were , hence the perception towards .com.au was better then that of .com (this was a while ago)

So I agree.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I remember seeing some research where Australian shoppers thoughts that .com.au domains were a trusted source in which only businesses can acquire where as other TLD's were , hence the perception towards .com.au was better then that of .com (this was a while ago)

So I agree.

Personally when I search for something to buy I typically skip past anything not .com.au as I suspect it will be an overseas store/seller. Sometimes put .com.au in the search phrase to refine things. Not that I think many people do the 2nd part but I think a % of Australians would discount .com or unusual tlds pretty quickly.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo