1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

What names to buy?

Discussion in 'Resources & Success Stories' started by neddy, Aug 13, 2011.

1. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    For those that don't know him, Elliot Silver writes an excellent blog.

Elliot is a domain flipper par excellence. In one of his latest blogs, he gives some great insights as to how
    he selects names. As you can see, he puts a lot of time into it each day - he's very disciplined.

I'm with him on the "gut feel" part of it!

It's a short article, and worth reading imho. http://www.elliotsblog.com/you-have-to-put-the-time-in-4875

2. nina

nina Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Good article - I have bookmarked this one.

Sometimes I feel, however, that being so new to this, you wonder if you're ever going to be as good because I'm sure whatever great idea you've come up with, someone with more money, more time and more knowledge beat you to it.. That wasn't meant to sound negative, which it sort of does, but this does help me learn more about strategy and time required to do this.

I also wonder about whether to develop a site or not to make it more appealing or if it's only the value of the words that make it saleable.

Nina

3. geodomains

geodomains Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I look for things like this in todays news http://www.couriermail.com.au/life/homesproperty/federal-government-green-scheme-to-hit-price-of-mcmansions/story-e6frequ6-1226114052440 and then go out and register a few domains that could be the next big thing like

homeenergyinspections.com.au
    energyratinginspections.com.au
    energyratinginspection.com.au

When buying and selling houses we do building inspections, pest inspections, pool inspections and looks like it will be energy rating inspections to ad to the list, this will also apply to newly built houses, so could possibly be bigger than the earlier 3. :D

Don

4. nina

nina Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Don - thank you very much for this tip - Maybe I have been looking in the wrong places for ideas.

Nina

5. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Personally have always used keyword and bid data as a basis, not gut feel.

6. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I think they are very important also Snoopy. But to me "gut feel" still comes into it. You may have an angle or a usage that is perhaps not currently reflected in the "stats".

7. jhellyer

jhellyer Membership: Community

agreed.