What's new

What does it take to get clicks?

JDSaward

I'm new at this. At Above, getting hits but no clicks. Almost 200 domains. What does it take to get clicks and thus revenue?

I've checked many of the parking pages generated by Sedo and Bodis and provided via Above Managed, and they look good to me. See example of roofsolar.com.au. Looks like appropriate advertising. Typical of many others.

Screen Shot 2022-11-19 at 11.09.12.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-19 at 11.01.45.png

trellian

Top Contributor
These are the general rules:

- only real visitors do the clicks and are reported as clicks (bot based clicks are usually excluded)
- the more traffic the more clicks/revenues,
- unfortunately the CTR (click through ratio) can vary from 0% to close 100% depending on the domain, the traffic quality, and how relevant the ads are, in this case these the ads seem decent

I checked 9 other "solar" domains and have traffic and these were the findings:
- all 10 ( including yours) had the same keywords
- only 4 had clicks/revenues (and there were names that had 25 to 50 uniques each reported in a month, so a lot more traffic than your example domain.

In summary:

1. not all domains will generate revenues, and those that do the top earners generally make 90% of the revenues while the rest of the 90% of your domains will only make 10%

2. Your portfolio in total does not have a lot of traffic per day as yet, 3, 30 even 59 uniques per day is on the very low side if your strategy focus is on generating monetization revenues. At Drop a good indication of traffic is looking at the Backlink data point. Former sites have a tendency to have a lot more traffic especially from their existing links and as such have a much higher tendency to generate revenues on Above. So if you wish to focus on traffic names this is one strategy.

3. also look at minimising your renewal costs, Drop offers discount rates for domain renewals, as every little bit helps.

Cheers

JDSaward

These are the general rules:

- only real visitors do the clicks and are reported as clicks (bot based clicks are usually excluded)
- the more traffic the more clicks/revenues,
- unfortunately the CTR (click through ratio) can vary from 0% to close 100% depending on the domain, the traffic quality, and how relevant the ads are, in this case these the ads seem decent

I checked 9 other "solar" domains and have traffic and these were the findings:
- all 10 ( including yours) had the same keywords
- only 4 had clicks/revenues (and there were names that had 25 to 50 uniques each reported in a month, so a lot more traffic than your example domain.

In summary:

1. not all domains will generate revenues, and those that do the top earners generally make 90% of the revenues while the rest of the 90% of your domains will only make 10%

2. Your portfolio in total does not have a lot of traffic per day as yet, 3, 30 even 59 uniques per day is on the very low side if your strategy focus is on generating monetization revenues. At Drop a good indication of traffic is looking at the Backlink data point. Former sites have a tendency to have a lot more traffic especially from their existing links and as such have a much higher tendency to generate revenues on Above. So if you wish to focus on traffic names this is one strategy.

3. also look at minimising your renewal costs, Drop offers discount rates for domain renewals, as every little bit helps.

Cheers

Thank you. That helps.

JDSaward

I hope you don't mind me asking some follow up questions here. I'm motivated to learn.

I registered some au direct domains. One of them is prestonmarket.au. It is at Above, and at Sedo, and Bodis.

I'm really just testing what works and what does not.

Clearly the domain did not even exist a few weeks ago. And yet, in the last 7 days, Above reports:

138 Hits
4 uniques
9 reported
0 clicks.

OK I understand these numbers are low.

But now I wonder, given no backlinks, given no previous traffic, why there are even this number of hits and uniques? Where is even this small traffic coming from?

And might that traffic increase (organically)?

Is it because people find it by marketplace search? How would I find out?

trellian

Top Contributor
This is actually an amazing surprise as we have found that many direct .au domain are getting traffic.

is a post about some basic post registration results of 10k .au domains after a month 90% of logged at least 1 visitor to the domain. Which is not what we had expected.

The traffic is coming from a number of sources:
- search (google)
- typein (surprising many people are typing in domains with just .au and not .com.au)
- backlinks (yes some links are either wrong to begin with and with the release of .au many sites that and any text with .au if there was a word in front of that .au whereas before that would not have been autolinked on sites like facebook, linkedin etc where as now they get instant links

many insta, twitter handles used to end with .au and now there are actually being converted to links...

and yes we definitely believe that traffic to such domains will continue to increase as adoption rates of .au domains increase.

JDSaward

This is actually an amazing surprise as we have found that many direct .au domain are getting traffic.

is a post about some basic post registration results of 10k .au domains after a month 90% of logged at least 1 visitor to the domain. Which is not what we had expected.

The traffic is coming from a number of sources:
- search (google)
- typein (surprising many people are typing in domains with just .au and not .com.au)
- backlinks (yes some links are either wrong to begin with and with the release of .au many sites that and any text with .au if there was a word in front of that .au whereas before that would not have been autolinked on sites like facebook, linkedin etc where as now they get instant links

many insta, twitter handles used to end with .au and now there are actually being converted to links...

and yes we definitely believe that traffic to such domains will continue to increase as adoption rates of .au domains increase.

Thank you again. I imagine others here may also appreciate these insights.

I had read the Domainer Absolute Shock article soon after it came out, and it surprised me. I wondered, how can it be? But it was one of the inputs into my decision to explore :)

Regarding source, 'search (google)':

Is that relevant to a parked domain? Does google index parked domains?

TroyW

Top Contributor
Thank you again. I imagine others here may also appreciate these insights.

I had read the Domainer Absolute Shock article soon after it came out, and it surprised me. I wondered, how can it be? But it was one of the inputs into my decision to explore :)

Regarding source, 'search (google)':

Is that relevant to a parked domain? Does google index parked domains?

Hi @JDSaward,

I've had a similar experience to yours.

In regard to the .au traffic, I expect many people who were interested in the domain/s may have been checking to see how they went and who reg'd them - it will be interesting to see how they go long term.

TW

JDSaward

Hi @JDSaward,

I've had a similar experience to yours.

In regard to the .au traffic, I expect many people who were interested in the domain/s may have been checking to see how they went and who reg'd them - it will be interesting to see how they go long term.

TW

Yes, I think people are just checking. I know I checked on a few earlier on, as I tried to work out what is available.... :) I'm pleased we have come this far. I'm seeing au direct is a patience exercise.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo