What's new

website backups are worthless if............

findtim

Top Contributor
its my annual backup rant, sorry
i have all my hosting with netvirtue and they are great, as an experiment i have put one client on crazydomains and they have actually been wonderful.

but the difference is netvirtue give me a 15 day archive of website backups and crazy domains give me none, which means that if i get hacked on a friday, backed up on a saturday ( which OVERWRITES the previous backup ), then find out i've been hacked on the sunday i ONLY have a hacked backup of my site !

so the solution is , do not rely on your host to backup your site, implement other methods like backup buddy , infinatewp, updraftplus and many others.

also CHECK your backups, make sure all the files are there.

story: and the reason for this post, a month ago i had a new client come to me as they weren't happy with the web designer they had, so i backed it all up and moved it, only to find it was totally hacked, the worst i have seen, to the point of "throw it away and start again" but i had to deal with it, as i dug deeper and deeper into the site to find the hack, which had back doors, i finally fixed it, all the software and malware i used was not picking up the dodgy files, so i used chris burgess's advice which is " look for the date last modified" which is slow but helpful and eventually lead me to the problem files.
i also found a user had been hacked and that was another entry point to put in dodgy posts and links, the site was sending out 500 emails a minute ! there was also hidden posts to p#rn sites and hidden files with java scripts.

but when i finally felt i had fixed it , MANY images no longer existed? so then i went deeper and found that the image paths were to the past designers own root so actually NEVER existed on the domain !!!! a weird way of doing things, so the path to an image was www.designer.com/3.jpg instead of www.clients-domain/3.jpg

so my back up NEVER had all the files, hindsight is the best site but i just didn't think someone would be stupid enough to do that ! anyway i got lucky and "way back when" had all the images stored.

i hope that helps someone in the future.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member