What's new

Web Design Contest - Overview

soj

Founder
Preamble

DNT is pleased to get started with our first web design contest. This follows up our very successful SEO contest.

But first off we thought we better set out some basic parameters.

As this is new to us, we may miss some things. We would therefore welcome some constructive comments and suggestions from fellow members.

The first contest will be posted later today.

Object of the exercise

• We’d like to make our marketplace more interactive between domain owners and Aussie service providers.

• Basically we want to be a boutique oDesk / Freelancer / 99Designs – the difference being is that jobs are offered to local home-grown talent – not overseas based service providers.

• This is a totally free service for now. (Though if it goes well, we may charge a small fee in the future to the person posting the job).

• Domain owners can post a brief of what they want designed – generally this will be the home page; with the possibility of having an additional one or two pages designed.

• We intend doing a template which other members can then copy and paste (and add or delete).

• Designers will be providing only a conceptual design; i.e. a mockup - not a fully-fledged working website.

• Designers have an opportunity to showcase their talents and skills to Aussie domain owners – thus giving them the opportunity to network and get new business.

• Domain owners get the benefit of multiple designs – plus constructive design tips from fellow domainers.

• Win / win / win!

Basic Rules

1. Domain owner and service providers / designers must be members of DN Trade.

2. Designers must be Aussie based – and must not sub-contract work out to overseas providers.

3. Each design contest runs for either 7 or 14 days. Designers can enter multiple contests if they wish.

4. Designers must enter original work. Not to do so gets you disqualified.

5. Domain owners should use the template we have provided to post your job. You can cut or paste; add or delete.

6. A prize must be offered to the winning designer. The amount is at the domain owner’s discretion (but if you pay peanuts, you may only attract monkeys!).

7. A runner up prize (or prizes) is optional.

8. Designers post a link to their mockup or design on their own hosted space; or post mockup's (.psd's etc) here in this thread.

9. Other DNT members can offer constructive comments on designs – this helps the whole process.here on DNT.

10. The design can be edited as many times as the designer wants up until the close off date for the contest.

11. DNT members can then vote on favourite design. However, the domain owner has ultimate decision who they opt for.

12. Provided there are more than three contestants who have each submitted a design that properly complies with the rules and the design brief, a prize must be awarded.

13. Designs are “owned” by the designers; until such time as a prize is awarded. The winning design then becomes the property of the domain owner upon payment of the prize;
    and the designer will be required to pass over all editable design files.

14. The domain owner and designer can negotiate further work if they so wish. However there is no obligation on either party to do so.

15. DN Trade is simply the vehicle for these contests, and cannot / will not be held responsible for any issues that may arise out of any contest or design brief. We trust that members
    will do the right thing by each other. If there is an issue relating to non-payment of a prize, then whilst we cannot be held responsible, we would not be happy!

16. Please don’t enter a contest if you are not happy with any of the terms (unless you have made an alternate arrangement with the domain owner).

Snooks

Top Contributor
I like the concept :)

I have nothing to mention at the moment, but in the case of minor issues arising, commonsense and fine tuning should resolve that:)

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Fantastic idea, Ned!

I'm sure this will be great for kick-starting your promising marketplace, showcasing some great local talent, and allowing nervous designers to move forward by proposing designs in an easy-going and forgiving environment. Great work :D

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
I love the idea Ned :D Great work on your part :)

Only issue some would have is this: "Provided there are more than three contestants, a prize must be awarded."

There could easily be 3 entrants but these 3 are complete crap. The person asking for a design still has to pay. Maybe a claus about this (No idea how you'd put it but yah).

soj

Founder
I love the idea Ned :D Great work on your part :)

Only issue some would have is this: "Provided there are more than three contestants, a prize must be awarded."

There could easily be 3 entrants but these 3 are complete crap. The person asking for a design still has to pay. Maybe a claus about this (No idea how you'd put it but yah).

Thanks young Sparky. Good point that you raise. I have changed it to this:

Provided there are more than three contestants who have each submitted a design that properly complies with the rules and the design brief, a prize must be awarded.

How does that sound?

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
Yah that's good. Maybe something about sufficient quality. For example I could effectively do up a mock up with some colours and it could possibly pass the conditions. (Just want to make sure that you're covered).

jam

Top Contributor
To ask a designer, who would normally charge money by the hour or by the project, to give away free design work “competing” to win a project is like asking a carpenter to build you a chair with the hopes of getting paid if you like it.

Would you do 8 hours of work with the hopes that you would get paid if your employer is pleased with your performance?

Designers will be providing only a conceptual design; not a fully-fledged working website.

You need to clarify what you mean by this, does each contestant submit a working website template or just a image of the website?

In the first contest you have said...
I prefer a Wordpress design (though non WP entries will not be excluded).
This has no relevance as they are competing on the design. Unless you mean something different by "Wordpress design"?
Any design can be made in to a wordpress template...

I suggest doing it how Freelancer and oDesk do it. The same way as you did the SEO challenge, get people to express their interest in the project then pick one to continue the project.

Last edited:

soj

Founder
To ask a designer, who would normally charge money by the hour or by the project, to give away free design work “competing” to win a project is like asking a carpenter to build you a chair with the hopes of getting paid if you like it.

Thank you for your feedback Jam.

This sort of contest won't appeal to everyone - but I'm hoping that there are some local designers out there that will think more positively than you. ;)

99Designs doesn't guarantee anything for designers who may enter a multitude of design contests - spending lots of hours in the hope that they may win a job.

At least with my "contest", local designers won't have to compete against overseas providers. Therefore there is more chance of winning - and then getting a well paid contract
at the end. Did you see what I was offering apart from the prize?

And designers who enter this contest will get great exposure. Bear in mind the SEO thread ended up with over 4500 views in 8 weeks.

I'm just trying to create a marketplace here on DNT (to add value for members), and this is my first attempt. If this doesn't work out, then I'll try another way.

So at least please give me some credit for trying. ;)

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
You gotta remember, jam, that this isn't about getting work or making a pitch. It's not aimed for big profits or big business. It's aimed for small designers who want to have a little more experience and a bit of fun, with a possibility of some great reward if they work hard.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
You gotta remember, jam, that this isn't about getting work or making a pitch. It's not aimed for big profits or big business. It's aimed for small designers who want to have a little more experience and a bit of fun, with a possibility of some great reward if they work hard.

Bingo

When it comes down to it, this is just a simple exercise aimed at connecting those who are ready, willing and able to work (and maybe lacking experience) with those willing to offer it.

So far I'm hearing good things, with a number of people waiting to see how this pans out so that they can commission their own work.

It's one of the true win/wins Ned is well known for.

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
Exactly as Scott said. I'm interested in this as my biggest issue is actually having a design brief of something to do. If I have the time I'll do this because it's a great opportunity to learn new stuff and to add something to my portfolio (that is not created yet) even if it's never used or anything etc etc.

findtim

Top Contributor
Jam, your chair analogy is exactly right and Admin the 99designs comparision can not be used as an example to elimate the chair analogy as you are contradicting yourself by saying we would deal with aussies and not overseas when 99designs are mostly overseas, hope that makes sense?

IF an aussie has a product/service that is as good as the rest of the world and the price is right then they will succeed, because we can buy a design for $500 and have 99 designs put infront of us its a tough ask to commit solely to aussies, what we need to do is TAP INTO this new world instead of fighting it.

I'm sorry ned but i think you are to late to the game, i know your heart is in the right place but these other websites are so far ahead of DNT its not funny, DNT is good for what it does, maybe the next step is creating a new section for outsourcing ?

Australia is gone, we are now 1 world, sooner we realise that the better.

tim

soj

Founder
I'm sorry ned but i think you are to late to the game, i know your heart is in the right place but these other websites are so far ahead of DNT its not funny, DNT is good for what it does, maybe the next step is creating a new section for outsourcing ?

Tim, DNT will never compete with all those established sites you mention. We don't want to; and we're not capable of doing so.

What we do want to do is try and connect Aussie domain owners with Aussie designers - "Buy Australia".

As you know, I talk to a lot of fellow domain owners every day. People that are not able (or don't want to) to design their own sites. These guys want to connect with a good local designer who won't let them down - and who they can talk to on the phone if necessary.

And I'm one of those people myself. I'm sick of oDesk and foreign designers who promise a lot and don't deliver.

I also know from being active on Flying Solo that there are heaps of local web designers that are actively looking for work - and would appreciate opportunities to get their talents noticed.

So that's why this contest originated .............

Let's see how it goes. Nothing ventured; nothing gained. :)

jam

Top Contributor
Designers will be providing only a conceptual design; not a fully-fledged working website
You need to clarify what you mean by this, does each contestant submit a working website template or just a image of the website?

Can you answer this question please Ned? Thanks

At least with my "contest", local designers won't have to compete against overseas providers. Therefore there is more chance of winning - and then getting a well paid contract
at the end. Did you see what I was offering apart from the prize?

I’m happy you’re keeping it to local designers, and I did see what you were offering apart from the prize, but most people using the site as a marketplace won’t offer anything like that.

If it’s a marketplace it’s aimed at connecting people that can do the job that is advertised. No one is going to advertise and pay some to do a job so someone can get “experience and a bit of fun”

What we do want to do is try and connect Aussie domain owners with Aussie designers - "Buy Australia"

I don’t feel comfortable putting in my time to make a great design then not getting paid for it.
The designers that put in a couple days work and don’t get anything lose big time in the end.

Also, if someone submits a really great design straight up no one will enter after it if they are not likely to win.
You also get the following entries using similar designer elements as the previous design that got a positive response. So please put rules in place to stop this such as all entries being revealed on the same day.

I am looking forward to see how it goes, even though I don’t agree with the model.

soj

Founder

Can you answer this question please Ned? Thanks

Thanks Jam - I appreciate your comments on this, as it has helped me clarify the situation. I have made changes:

Designers will be providing only a conceptual design; i.e. a mockup - not a fully-fledged working website.

And also in No. 8 of the "Basic Rules":

Designers post a link to their mockup or design on their own hosted space; or post mockup's (.psd's etc) here in this thread.

I’m happy you’re keeping it to local designers, and I did see what you were offering apart from the prize, but most people using the site as a marketplace won’t offer anything like that.

But the fact is I am offering that. I am very genuine about getting a great job done, and I'm prepared to pay for it.

And I might be wrong, but I believe others will be prepared to pay decent money as well (provided it is value for money).

If it’s a marketplace it’s aimed at connecting people that can do the job that is advertised. No one is going to advertise and pay some to do a job so someone can get “experience and a bit of fun”

100% agreed. But if someone believes they can do it, I'm not going to stop them entering the contest. Experience builds expertise.

I don’t feel comfortable putting in my time to make a great design then not getting paid for it.
The designers that put in a couple days work and don’t get anything lose big time in the end.

Also, if someone submits a really great design straight up no one will enter after it if they are not likely to win.

Jam, I'm not twisting your arm to be part of the contest. But if you're confident of your own abilities and talents - and like the end prize and benefits - then have a go and be judged by your peers.

You also get the following entries using similar designer elements as the previous design that got a positive response. So please put rules in place to stop this such as all entries being revealed on the same day.

I am looking forward to see how it goes, even though I don’t agree with the model.

Please suggest some rules Jam to make it fairer. As I said, this is the first contest, and therefore it is a learning curve for all. I'm all ears!

Cheers, Ned

findtim

Top Contributor
Jam makes some good points, about design, time and then rip-off improvements.

99designs have VERY sophisticated websites that prevent others from seeing the other designs.

i play both sides of the coin, i do design and build but also project manager so i am CONSTANTLY contradicting myself to which ever client i am dealing with because i listen and weigh up whats best for them so thus i have 2 opinions, but what is growing in my business is the overseas outsourcing and i can't close my eyes to it, my overseas outsourcing work spend has grown by 400% in the last 6 months.

At the same time i pitch to them they are better off using me rather then elance etc, but once they find them its hard to convince them to stay, honestly its only lack of knowledge of elance, freelancer, 99designs etc that is keeping the common aussie webdesigner going.

i got a brochure today "sites n stores dot com au " super cheap, now nobody can tell me they aren't using overseas people for this ! if so please do.

NOW having said all that, YES, i want aussies to use me and my clients LOVE me because they can pick up the phone and i actually answer it ! if everyone used elance or 99designs then i'd be in the gutter collecting coca cola cans but thats where its heading so my point is we need to get smarter and play a bigger game.

Accept the Paradigm that we can not compete on price with 1+ billion Indians and 1+ billion chinese and move on, what they do not have is businesses wanting $3K ++ websites, so shit your business from design into to project management, play a bigger game.

I will not be presenting a design on a whim of a chance that maybe and possibly seeing my design online anyway ! it happens.

tim

soj

Founder
Jam makes some good points, about design, time and then rip-off improvements.

He does - and I look forward to suggestions on how I can make things better.

But I stress again - I'm not 99Designs - I'm just using our platform to match job seekers and service providers - even if it is in a most simple and rudimentary way. It still works.

I will not be presenting a design on a whim of a chance that maybe and possibly seeing my design online anyway ! it happens.

Whatever ..............

I understood you were too busy anyway.

findtim

Top Contributor
yes, to busy, and i have detailed that to you.

let me just clarify ned, i'm NOT slagging the idea just stating my opinion and as always feel free for anyone to correct me as thats what i like about dnt and yes i love you too snoopy LOL .

yes i am too busy but the reason i'm to busy is i am always looking for work, one thing i was taught in my young days was that when you can NOT do any more work is when you need to promote because when you have the time to promote yourself ..... its to late and you have a lag in time before you get more work.

i suppose my end comment is, go for it, not for me but maybe a good platform for others.

i wish you well and i'm now going to get off this bandwagon and turn myself to the positives rather then the negatives for future posts on this thread.

tim

soj

Founder
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions - both on this thread and via email and PM.

On reflection, I have decided not to proceed with this contest.

As I originally prefaced, this was the first contest, and there may have been things that needed to be changed to make it more appealing.

I'm always happy to listen and adapt.

Prior to deciding to cancel this, I was going to change the contest and implement these changes below:

• I only want a mockup of the homepage done - forget the other two pages.

• Prize is $500 (instead of $600) - runner up prize is still $100.

• Designs can be emailed to me rather than posted here. I will then post each entry at the end of the 14 days for comment by the rest of our community. This avoids any problems with "copying".

The SEO contest we did was a great success - and I put my own money on the line. Our members on DNT got a great benefit from the whole experiment.

But perhaps I didn't think this contest through enough - and perhaps I was naïve in thinking the same thing could be done for a web design contest.

Whilst my intentions were good and honourable, I don't need the stress, or any negative publicity - which is why I have decided to cancel it.

And I have no hard feelings. :)

Cheers, Ned

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members