1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

WannaCry Fallout, Hosting companies going offline.

Discussion in 'Hosting' started by Christopher, May 19, 2017.

1. Christopher

Christopher Membership: Community

In the fallout from WannaCry Ransomware virus, some hosting companies, decided to pull their hardware offline, in order to prevent catestrophic failure of their systems, highlighting archaic hardware and software still being sold as new and perfromance systems.

One host in the UK, Fasthost, has copped a lot of flack, making the decision to pull their 2003 machines offline, which were backing up customers data. Naturally they now have a lot of angry customers, who weren't warned of the down time, going for up to 6 days without access.
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/17/fasthosts_wannacrypt_backups/

2. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    most hosts promote 99.9% uptime guarantees so i can see so expensive outcomes.
    i never state a guarantee, i tell them all about "zero day vulnerability" and 100% of them go SH*T.
    i find best to promise less at the start and i back it up with "we are all in the same boat"

in the end someones making money out of it and already thinking of the next one !

tim

Christopher likes this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Membership: Community

Yep the thing about this company @findtim was they offered windows backup solutions, and were them selves using old vulnerable windows servers.