What's new

Value adding?

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any point in adding the word 'The' as a prefix in domains (.au and/or .com).

Example: TheRedBrickCompany vs RedBrickCompany

Psychologicly, I think maybe having 'The' in the domain could to give it more impact if it came up in a search query for a service/retail query. This is probably more geared towards actual business name registration rather than generic domaining.

What do you think?

Jay

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
If it's for branding a business - having both is always my preferred strategy. Getting the name without 'the' as a prefix is the best of the two in almost all cases, but if you can also get the term with 'the' as a prefix it's good to secure it.

I would be hesitant to launch an online business on a domain that had 'the' as a prefix if I had a strong competitor using the domain without the prefix. You will end up bleeding some level of traffic to that competitor and they already have an edge for branding with the shorter, more memorable name.

For example (these are .com.au domains):

WhiskyBar
TheWhiskyBar

The first of the two domains above is clearly the better of the two. However, you could brand on the second domain if you couldn't get the first one. For particularly popular or valuable terms you will often see people using prefixes ('the', 'a', 'best' etc) in their domains. Either would work for branding, but the ideal scenario would be to own both (which I do in the example).

If you're looking at 'the' prefixed domains for resale, that's a different story. You would have to be very selective in that case. Only buy those domains that have a lot of potential buyers.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I think that's a strategy that's been used for a long time in business name branding. Chuck a 'the' at the front for instant authority. 'The Window Cleaners', 'The Motor Mechanics' etc

Not sure how effective it is - risks sounding a bit clumsy, maybe... and, as demenoid says in terms of domains you might rick losing traffic to the non 'the' domain

snoopy

Top Contributor
I think that's a strategy that's been used for a long time in business name branding. Chuck a 'the' at the front for instant authority. 'The Window Cleaners', 'The Motor Mechanics' etc

Not sure how effective it is - risks sounding a bit clumsy, maybe... and, as demenoid says in terms of domains you might rick losing traffic to the non 'the' domain

I think it depends on the term, "Window Cleaners" are common & it is obvious "The Window Cleaners" aren't the first or the leaders. A trade type business is unlikely to work well because people know they are small & offer a generic service. Compare it to say "The Australian Nut Company" or "The Coffee Company".

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Thanks for the replies. I guess it wouldnt hurt to take both options with a redirect if they were available.

I'm thinking that using 'The' is more definitive of an actual business entity and could have the luxury of TM registration where as without 'The' it would remain generic which may be better for online searches.

Thanks again....it came to me in the early hours of the morning so thought I'd throw it up for review.

Cheers

Jay

Phigit

Hi Jay,

I was doing research on Exact Match Domains from an SEO perspective. This article on Exact Match Domains was useful and it provides a hierarchy of domains.

It is a long read but it is worthwhile.

Adam

findtim

Top Contributor
i've got "theflorist" as a hand reg, god knows i could afford "florist"

a client came to me and she couldn't get what she wanted so we added "the" and as previously said it works IN THE RIGHT context

but i agree get both if you can

dubbodentist is good, thedubbodentist has an eliment of CLAIM to it so it works as well, it suggests there is only one.

in most cases i prefer non "the" domains"

"thenoosasailing" doesn't make sense "thenoosamotel" does.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member