What's new

Using others logo's ??

johno69

Top Contributor
Does anyone have any info on what we can and can't do with using other company logo's for promotion of their website?

I mean similar to what VentraIP does here down the bottom with the slider.

Any like Buyii does with the "featuring deals from…" section.

I know it's generally used to leverage off the credibilty of such companies, and have seen some just straight out not like it.

Does anyone have info on what we can and can't do before we require any sort of written permission ?

zhenjie

Top Contributor
You should definitely ask for permission or have very clear relations with the company who's logo you wish to use.

LemonChip

I think generally (and i'm not a copyright lawyer) what you're talking about might fall into the "fair use" category of copyright law...

For example let's say you are writing an article about a particular set of lyrics in a song, and you want to provide a snippet of the song within the article. You can do that, and it's not considered copyright infringement because the snippet is being used to support the information in your article. That's pretty much what fair use is about.

So I would say if 'fair use' applies to your situation that legally you may be fine, but as another poster commented it would be much smarter to get their prior permission just so you can cover all bases.

Victor

I think generally (and i'm not a copyright lawyer) what you're talking about might fall into the "fair use" category of copyright law...

For example let's say you are writing an article about a particular set of lyrics in a song, and you want to provide a snippet of the song within the article. You can do that, and it's not considered copyright infringement because the snippet is being used to support the information in your article. That's pretty much what fair use is about.

So I would say if 'fair use' applies to your situation that legally you may be fine, but as another poster commented it would be much smarter to get their prior permission just so you can cover all bases.

Just be aware that 'fair use' is an American concept that has no real Australian equivalent. The closest we have is 'fair dealing' which only applies to very specific uses of copyright material - use for news reporting, parody or satire, criticism or review, research or study or for legal advice.

Cheers,
Victor

Shane

Top Contributor
I know the insurance companies are cool with financial advisers using their logos, but that would come under zhenjie's "very clear relations with the company" category.

I think as long as you're using the logo in good faith and are not misrepresenting your relationship with the company you are unlikely to be sued. At worst you'll be told to remove the logo.

I think 'good faith' is the biggest thing to keep in mind.

johno69

Top Contributor
Thanks guys, we've had no issues when requesting use of such logos. They have been quite happy we wanted to use them actually.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo