What's new

Upcoming Aftermarket Auction Thoughts

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Well the Net Fleet weekly aftermarket auctions is not far away from beginning and I thought I'd just start rambling about a few things that crossed my mind.

So do people think that the domains listed will generally sell for a slightly higher premium to drops and snaps given that the purchases won't come with a minimum 6 month holding?

Is a week too long to stage an auction over?

Is the $100 reserve too high? I imagine there will be quite a few domains that don't even get a bid in this auction. Would $50 reserve be more appropriate (not to mention make netfleet more money if a lower reserve prompts more domains to sell)?

Is anyone planning to place a bid in this weeks auction?

Does anyone know what advertising is Netfleet planning on doing for these weekly auctions? Email reminders? I imagine these are the sorts of auctions that you'd have to remind potential bidder regularly about because they are not daily.

The next 3 auctions are booked out? But will supply of domains be enough to sustain a weekly auction?

DavidL

Top Contributor
Some good questions there. Here are my answers although I'm sure others will have a different opinion:

1) Hopefully they will make more - not having the 6 mth rule is a bonus plus a a domain that has been continuously registered is worth more than one that has dropped and been re-registered (for SEO reasons)

2) I think a week is about right. Needs to be a decent length to give a chance for some marketing to work and for end-users in particular to get their heads around it. (24 hour domain auctions would scare the hell out of end-users)

3) We figured with a transfer fee involved, it's hardly worth anyone's time to sell a domain for less.

4) Unfortunately I can't :(

5) We'll be doing an email blast (7,000 people) plus marketing to Netreg clients (through KW matching & stuff). We get 500 UV's per day too who will see the listings on the homepage. We'll also be contacting anyone who's ever show interest in the domain on the standard aftermarket platform. We'll be doing a bunch of other stuff too.

6) Surprised me how quickly they booked out. I'm sure there will be enough to sustain a weekly auction. Remember it doesn't have to be 50 every week. If it settles down to 30week and that's what the market needs then so be it. It's all good and as we've seen the market will continue to grow.

Love to hear other opinions...

Shane

Top Contributor
I'll probably be more of a keen observer than bidder in this auction, but hopefully there will be future actions with domains I'm after. But who knows... if the price is right, I may not be able to help myself!

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I'll probably be more of a keen observer than bidder in this auction, but hopefully there will be future actions with domains I'm after. But who knows... if the price is right, I may not be able to help myself!
It would seem that at the moment most people are following your strategy...

No bids yet.

:confused:

Vicstar

Fantastic - I look forward to particpating.. as a bidder &/or submitting names for future auctions.
I wonder.. is it just my memory playing tricks or could one of the domains listed have been in a drop last week?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I wonder.. is it just my memory playing tricks or could one of the domains listed have been in a drop last week?
No your mind is not playing tricks. It's been mentioned in another thread.

On another note - it looks like we are off to the races in regards to the auction with 5 domains currently having received the minimum $100 bid.

Is anyone will to guess how many of these domains will actually receive at least minimum bids? 15? 20? 25?

Last edited:

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Is anyone will to guess how many of these domains will actually receive at least minimum bids? 15? 20? 25?
Well already 23 domains have bids on them, which I must admit I'm quite impressed with. I was sceptical as to whether even 20 would get bids.

That said at present 12 of those domains have only had 1 bid. I don't know what to make of that...

Nova

Top Contributor
The next batch of domains up for auction on NetFleet don't look crash hot - other than a few gems, very little of real value in there IMO

DomainNames

Top Contributor
a couple of good names I bid on today.

Will keep my eye on these new auctions. Just noticed the buyer pays transfer costs? will probably used the $39 registrant transfer deal advertised here on the forum

next lot of names for the auction doesnt look that hot but so I wont be bidding

Chris.C

Top Contributor
The next batch of domains up for auction on NetFleet don't look crash hot - other than a few gems, very little of real value in there IMO
I thought that about the first lot. Yet they seemed to get a lot of bids as well.

Will keep my eye on these new auctions. Just noticed the buyer pays transfer costs? will probably used the $39 registrant transfer deal advertised here on the forum
Don't you have to pay the COR of whatever the registrar with whom the former domain owner registered the domain with?

Honan

Top Contributor
So how does it work then?

Also what does everyone make of the prices achieved at the auction now that the domain sale prices have been listed?

http://www.netfleet.com.au/domain-sales

And have these results encouraged you to list your own domains for sale?
How does it work?
Transferring registrar of .au is free and unlimited, providing there is more than 90 days to renewal, unlike dot coms, where you have to pay renewal every time you transfer.
As a seller, I always offer to transfer to the buyers registrar of choice , suggesting that drop.com.au will do the transfer and COR in one smooth 48 hour process with just one form
Not sure how the new guys on the block handle transfer and COR except that they will save you $10 on drop's prices, so it might be worth asking them
The buyer then has a 21 months to decide what regsitrar to use for renewal
Of course you could always try out the system by buying one of my incredibly underpriced generics :)

Chris.C

Top Contributor
As a seller, I always offer to transfer to the buyers registrar of choice , suggesting that drop.com.au will do the transfer and COR in one smooth 48 hour process with just one form
As a buyer wouldn't it be best to do the transfer through the registrar that offers the cheapest COR?

And how much does drop.com.au charge for their COR service?

DavidL

Top Contributor
Yes, the registrant who does the transfer should be chosen by the buyer. After all they are paying.

When I sell a domain, I have a standard email that includes the transfer form, explains the process and also offers to cover the transfer fee on my account, if they pay a little extra for the purchase - extra being a lot less than any retail transfer fee that an end-user seller is likely to find so they generally jump at it. PM me for info here ;)

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Looks like it is a pretty quiet week this week on the net fleet aftermarket auction.

What is everyone's take on it?

Also I noticed that in a fortnight's time there have only been 10 domains listed. I was wondering if people thought you'd be more likely to get a better price at auction if there were more or less domains listed?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member