What's new

Unrealistic Asking Prices

Sway

Over the passed few weeks i have been lurking around the .au auction sites and even made a few bids on some domains. Today the auctions were due to end and the owners have come back with a Counter offer of 8,000.

This may seem not that much of a large sum, but the domains I showed interest in have no recorded traffic, would not feature in type in traffic so the asking price is beyond unrealistic. Adding further to this the .com domain is currently going for $700 so why would anyone pay the much more for the .au?

Anyway this got me thinking that the reason the .au market is so slow is because of the prices people are asking, unlike the .com boom they just aren't going to happen anytime soon.

Until .au domainers are willing to part with 'average' domains for well under $1000 the road ahead seems long and grim.

Anyone having/had similar experiences of recent?

Prices

I guess it's just wishful thinking with these guys.

We also need to remember that .com.au is a 2LD and not a 1LD

1DL will always have higher favor when it comes to googles crawlers and spiders.

Matthew
www.DomainsRegistration.com.au

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
What au market ? ..... gonna take a while yet i feel , consider .tv and .me as other options , while you need an abn to buy a .com.au it will always be a long road

nameseek

I agree about the prices being a bit far fetched at the moment
I think it will be a slow 12 months at least before things start to take shape.

Wade

I agree, the majority of sellers are asking for way too much, and thats one of the main reasons we're not seeing sales coming through the auction sites.

Buyers are out there ready to make acquisitions, and I dont think they are necessailry looking for absolute bargains, for now fair market value would be a good start!

The other problem is most of whats listed for sale now is CRAP, all the auction sites have a handful of great domains, buried under a pile of shit.

Keep in mind as well, if a domain owner was clever enough to find a domain auction site, they are going to have high expectations, particularly when they see everyone else asking stupid prices, it just encourages everyone to ask for more.

There is plenty of activity at the moment, its just all going on fairly privately.

soj

Founder
I guess if you want to find some good domains, the only way to get them are to contact the owners listed on the whois, and hope they respond. The thing about domains is that it costs you very little to keep onto a domain, and you can keep onto it for as long as you can until you get the ridiculous price your after. Its not like property where some people have a big mortgage, and it is costing them too much with increased interest rates to hold on, so they are in a position where their only option is selling, most domainers dont have that problem.

Wade

It depends on how many names they have, for someone who owns just 1 premium domain and no others, its true they have little obvious need to sell unless the offer is right.

On the other hand, someone with thousands of domains, paying 10's of thousands in renewals, its a different story, sure they likely have the revenue to cover the costs, but the opportunity to recover some of their initial and ongoing investment is going to be more attractive.

Wade

The comments by Larry suggest he spent 5minutes at netlfeet and based his thoughts solely on what he saw there.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo