What's new

Understanding Google+, +1 button, and Search [video]

payattention

Archived Member
Outside of authorship, there really isn't any benefit to promoting G+. To support it means to support G+ having more weighting in the search algorithm. Despite their claims, no-one is using it..

Google Plus has 150 million monthly active users -- compared to Facebook's 900 million. And there's evidence, some of it from independent traffic monitors, that Facebook users engage much more frequently and for longer than Google Plus users, at least in public posts (A comScore report in January said Facebook users spent an average of 7.5 hours on the site, compared to 3.3 minutes on Google Plus.")

As The Atlantic put it: "People are 'on' Google Plus, but they are not really ON Google Plus. The infrastructure is there. The street signs are there. People own plots of land. But there's nobody actually visiting town."

Source - http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/02/tech/social-media/google-plus-not-dead/index.html

Maile Ohye (woman in the video that looks like Sid from Ice Age) is a good analogy for Google + - no matter how hard they try to make it attractive, most people find it ugly.

I stayed up to watch Google I/O keynote a few nights ago and it was scary just how deluded they are about it and it's clear their intention is to jam it into every single product in the hope it'll stick. Personally, it makes me all the more determined to avoid it. Not only is there no benefit to using it but it may actually be a threat to business as they want to move your audience from your site to theirs.

Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads