What's new

Twitter.com domain name value

petermeadit

Top Contributor
We have all seen Twitter shares soar 81pc to $US47 each after IPO.

Given that Twitter.com is a pretty ordinary domain name out of context.

My Question is hypothetical: If they ever decided to delete their website and sell off the domain name, how much less would it be valued at without all the web content?

Would you stab a dollar value, several million perhaps? Would it still be worth a lot once all the content was taken away, simply because of its history?

findtim

Top Contributor
its no longer a domain name, its a business.

your suggestion is what would google.com be worth? if we didn't know google

NOTHING

for a more detailed explanation I suggest everyone reads snoopys past posts :D as he explains it better then I can.

hmmmm, sorry, but I think I pretty much killed the thread :) sorry peter

twitter.com is not worth a billion without the infrastructure, nor is google

tim

James

Top Contributor
I think Twitter originally launched with a different name in the early days it was something like TWTRR, similar to Facebook and THEFACEBOOK domain name.

petermeadit

Top Contributor
I think Twitter originally launched with a different name in the early days it was something like TWTRR, similar to Facebook and THEFACEBOOK domain name.

Interesting bit of history that not everyone would know James.

No doubt they realised they needed some good marketing resulting and a better domain name with a funny blue bird. It was at this time a friend told me they would be a huge hit. Most people thought it was all a bit odd.

They probably still think Twitter is a bit odd. But so were mobile phones once, and some people think mobiles are still a bit odd.

If Twitter shut up shop tomorrow, and deleted their website, then put their domain name up for sale, that would not be worth nothing.

It would be like a Picasso's picture frame with the canvas removed. Or one of Don Bradman's bats.

findtim

Top Contributor
It would be like a Picasso's picture frame with the canvas removed. Or one of Don Bradman's bats.

the brand is the product is the brand is the............

you would have to provide the same service, change the service then domain = zero

"new coke theory" , they changed the product and it failed, nobody was talking about brand value being about to prop up sales, they were talking about the expectation of the name to relate to what that name had always represented to them, thus "classic coke"

tim

petermeadit

Top Contributor
you would have to provide the same service, change the service then domain = zero

I hear what you are saying Tim, but I would still like to see what happens if Twitter.com ever hit the drops...

Or any other massive business domain name for that matter. Like what would happen if wikipedia.org shut up and let their domain drop?

It would be hard to imagine these domain names = zero

petermeadit

Top Contributor
Ok... Tyas Wittermann Creative™ is an Australian website and internet business.

But I wonder if many people expect twttr.com to be 301'd to twitter.com ??

Blue Wren

Top Contributor

We might get an indication of a domain's "nostalgic" value if Yahoo ever lets geocities.com or altavista.com drop.

They were huge web sites in their time. The Geocities business was acquired by Yahoo for about $3.5Billon... Both were eventually shut down.

The altavista.com domain (domain only) changed hands for around US $3+million pre-dotcom bust in 1998.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1023-214326.html

Doubt it would go for anywhere near that now though :)

IMHO If Twitter or Google goes bust , their assets, including domain would most likely be sold off and the new owner would just stockpile the domain name. It would be very unlikely to drop in a time frame that many people would still remember what the domain was all about.

findtim

Top Contributor
We might get an indication of a domain's "nostalgic" value if Yahoo ever lets geocities.com or altavista.com drop.
vinny you make some interesting points, I agree, just don't see it happening because of the embarrassment it would cause.

the dotcomcrash in the early 2000-1 has heaps of reference to failed ideas.

I think there are many of us on DNT that who have topped 10/15/20 years in the industry so there are a lot of memories about past HERO sites that are no longer.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members