1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Trophy Domains - does anyone own any?

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by Drop.com.au, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Drop.com.au

Drop.com.au Membership: VIP

I just read an interesting thread at another domain forum about one of the domains listed on today's Secondary Market Auction @ Drop - HH.com.au

https://www.drop.com.au/auction/?room=sma

One of the members at Domain Board Room commented:

Aside from obviously plugging this domain name @ our Drop auction (self interest declared), I was also genuinely curious about the notion of trophy domain names.

Does anyone own what they consider to be "trophy" domain names. I would be interested to hear and hopefully see some examples... (perhaps I should also state, no 3d or 4d trophies please :p )

Best Regards,
    George Pongas

2. Shaun

Shaun Membership: Community

George,

Just on HH.com.au I assume someone has been in contact with Helly Hansen? Would be a perfect trophy for them.

3. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Have had a few of these types of names in the past (eg fff.com, jjj.com), personally I think it is just speculation owning them, they look great and lack substance. If I could go back in time I would have avoided such names and stuck to names with clear usage. I would say there is entire categories that could fit the term eg geo .tv's that people collect but no domainers is ever able to successfully develop, great sounding one word .com that have no clearcut usage (eg links.com), one letter cc tlds etc (e.co, i.vu etc).

When they say "there is no need to do anything" with HH.com.au, it is probably more the case that is has no obvious usage aside from resale. It is a "domainers domain", put it on the mantlepiece and tell everyone about it, that is the usage. :)

4. Drop.com.au

Thanks Shaun, nice lead. Contact initiated...

Cheers
    George

5. Oz.

Oz. Membership: VIP

Didn't know you were a member of DBR George :)
    Note to self, got to stop saying bad things about Drop on there. j/k ;)

6. Drop.com.au

I am now :)

One of the reasons why I joined, to keep an eye on you ;)

George

7. Honan

Honan Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I give up
    wtf is DBR ?

Yes, I have a trophy name that I use for my email

8. WG2010

WG2010 Archived Member

I don't see the value and never have. Anyone care to explain? I fail to see any reason to own such domains unless for resale value to some company that has HH as the initials or acronym or something.

9. soj

soj Founder

DBR is Domain Board Room - www.domainboardroom.com

The trophy domains aren't owned for any reason other than just being able to say you own them.

10. Max

Max Membership: Community

Snoopy. Quote ..

*It is a "domainers domain", put it on the mantlepiece and tell everyone about it, that is the usage.*

Exactly .. A collectible ..

11. Timmy

Timmy Banned

I don't agree completely - a trophy name sure because of the 'limited number of combinations available" but let's face it, attention spans are zero these days and LL domains are in opinion highly brandable and not just vanity domains for domainers. That's assuming the product/business name was practical and a relevant fit for the LL combo. I considered purchasing HH.com.au for a friend who sells High Heels. The business name is 19 characters in total and offers no real product relevant SEO advantages so why not run with a relevant and short domain name?

Maybe I'm just a design nerd, but I saw so many cool ways to use the letter "H" and for sake of $1500.00 I would have had a crack :p

**Disclaimer: Timmy does not own or wear high heels.

12. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Would be trying to get something with the keyword in it personally. In my opinion it would be going from one domain with no search engine benefits to another.

13. Max

The value is in the rarity almost everything in this world is collectable .. There are only 25 (from 26 possible combos) other people in Australia that can own a L same L .com.au .. that makes any same letter same letter domain name as rare as hens teeth .. there doesn't have to be a commercial application involved to make such a domain valuable ..

Even rarer are .. Same Number same Number there are only nine possible combinations of N same N .com.au if you dont recognize the zero as a number .. So only nine people can own such a name .. that makes it a collectable trophy name .. some people call them vanity names ..

14. WG2010

WG2010 Archived Member

So they're like basketball cards? Cool to own but have very little value to anyone who is not interested in them. If they don't have commercial application then they are worthless (to me).

The HH example is really silly. Why would anyone who sold high heels want to own hh.com.au instead of highheels.com.au It's beyond stupid.

15. Timmy

Timmy Banned

Ha ha, yeah ok General. Can't argue with that statement, but HighHeels.com.au isn't available - nor did I say they were of the same value.

16. Max

17. WG2010

WG2010 Archived Member

Show some examples of domains instead of number plates. If these 2 letter domains are worth so much, surely everyone is jumping over each other to get them. Right?

18. Max

Not every one is a collector and the AU market is not mature enough yet to attract exceptionally high offers for such names .. There are not many to show .. There can only ever be 26 possible combos

So maybe none have ever come on the market apart from HH.com.au others here would know better than i about AU L same L if any others were dropped or sold ..

There have been one maybe more sold in .com over the Years i could look that up just for the sake of it if you wish ...

19. Max

Trophy domain .. Godaddy has X.CO thats as short as it can get for a trophy name ..

20. James

James Membership: VIP

Paypal has www.X.com way better then .co

But yeah I think HH.com.au is a great domain very brand-able, you could make a huge eCommerce site out of it like www.OO.com.au

I own a few decent domains in other TLD's I think I missed the boat on .com's I purchased 3 really good ones on eBay back in 2006 thats about the best I can get haha...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010