What's new

TravelDirectory.com.au

Jamie-AU

I bought TravelDirectory.com.au in a domain expiring auction on NetFleet about a year ago.

I was the only bidder, which makes me think it's not that valuable, but then again, it has two generic words in it which are relevant to the travel industry.

Any opinions?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I think it is self branding and has great potential ....value i am insure of but seems like a good one to develop though

Jamie-AU

Re: developing it. I don't really have time at the moment. Maybe in the long-term it might be an option if I don't sell it. I guess I was just seeing if there was potential for it, given that I've had it for sale on NetFleet since late last year and there's been no interest in it.

snoopy

Top Contributor
There is lots of names that sounds ok, usable etc. This is one of them.

Not worth anything though in my view, it is not a popular term so they chance of anyone "having to have it" or "really really wanting it" to the point of paying a premium over reg fee is low.

As an example there were lots of ok sounding names on today's drop and most got no bids, the highest price paid was $11. The name has to be very very good in .au to be worth anything. It is just sounds good without there being clear reasons as to why it would be valuable (eg statistics) then it is not worth anything.

Alex

Top Contributor
Agree 100% with Snoopy.

Only small exception is TravelDirectory.com.au does seem in my opinion to be very brandable and can see how as travel is the focus it could make money.

I think it would be very competitive tho as competing against websites like travelzoo.com.au

avalonesa

I like this name.

Possible end users:

Travel agents
Travel insurance companies
Tourism operators

Or you could make it the go to place for info on travelling and charge all of the above for a directory listing.

Jamie-AU

It's interesting when people talk about "liking" a domain name. If you really think deeply about it, does the name actually mean that much? Does a name guarantee success? It's probably more what you do with it than anything else. I doubt in the early days anyone would have placed any "like" value on meaningless names to use for domains, like "google", "tumblr", "yahoo", "bing", etc.

avalonesa

This is true. Having a good product or service and marketing it appropriately is more important. But names are still important for branding purposes. Like names with two syllables are more catchy and memorable than names that aren't etc.

Also lets not forget that if you have two sites with exact same backlink profile and content and age, the exact match will always rank higher in both adwords and organic results. Yes google's updates focus more now on content, but if everything is the same, but one name is www.ahdhdj.com and one is www.tables.com, tables.com will outrank the other name for a search of "tables". It will get more clicks from users from its perceived keyword authority and thus be ranked higher.

Jamie-AU

names with two syllables are more catchy and memorable than names that aren't

Given that you could invent a vast number of 2 syllable names, then whether Google Inc had chosen "google", "groogle", "boogle", "roogle", "moogle", etc, would have probably not made any difference. Their success would have been the same, independent of the 2 syllable name chosen.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member