1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Tourism Body defends $100K website names

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by DavidL, Jun 18, 2010.

1. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/17/2929329.htm

Read the comments. Unfortunately they are closed but yet again display terrible ignorance by the Aussie public....

It appears the previous owner was a legitimate tourism business in the NT with a full website going back at least 10 years. Doesn't stop the cybersquatter tag being thrown about by these ignorant fools.

Gems like:

(the poor previous owner has been running a website to support his legitimate tourism business for over 10 years - he's not even a domainer)

(ICANN arbitrate disputes do they?)

(Yes, we all know auda encourages domain name piracy!)

2. djuqa

djuqa Membership: Trader

Woohoo, I wish the NT government would pay me a BIG price for my nt-tourism.com

As to the mis-information , what as domainers, do we do to try to counter-act this perception. Most of the members of this forum have names which under close scrutiny would be classed as cybersquatting.

Even a Major Auction site promoted heavily here is advertising they now will market "auDA Policy" dropped/deleted names.

We, as a group of domainers, need to stop self-promoting and start informing the general public and NewsMedia about domains and their Legal usage/ownership/resale rules.

We all have at some stage had to defend our ownership of a name that some ill-informed clown thought "That they had a Right to Own"

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  3. WG2010

WG2010 Archived Member

The majority of the comments are uninformed and seem to resent the fact someone got a nice pay day while they did not.

I often regret the fact that I missed so many good domain opportunities even though I've been online for ages(wasted my time playing Ultima Online then Everquest THEN World Of Warcraft! oh my). That doesn't entitle me anything nor do I resent those who took action and made $ from it.

I've not checked what the search volume is but it's obvious that if this is what people are searching for then the purchase will pay dividends in the long run for anyone involved in tourism up north.