What's new

Too hot in the kitchen? AUDA pulls video over criticism & Western Bulldogs Comment

Lemon

Top Contributor
https://www.dntrade.com.au/threads/...s-in-the-domain-name-system.11499/#post-87125

The difference now is the current auDA membership does not accurately count how many people / entities have joined numerous times under different names, under different entities, how many where fake, how many where signed up bu their supply company, how many signed up with multiple entities names in both supply and demand to create voting influence

The real membership of auDA today would be good to know. Is it is more likely to be just 70 people or less ?

I do not have the 2002 auDA membership database of 380 to see how much "stacking" was occurring at that time. That would be interesting for someone to do each year..Maybe auDA has this info from their "audits" and why they chose to phone people this year?

An audit could help show;
- The real figure
- Who has stacked their way into auDA roles over the years
- How Supply has seemingly influenced both Demand and Supply and this auDA Policy and ... contracts?

From 2 or 3 people ( besides auDA staff, 1 director and the cameraman) turning up for the last auDA roadshow event it is fairly obvious the current style of auDA "engagement" with members is not working.

People did not go for some reason.. Why not? time, place, content of the meeting, presenter, trust factor, conflict with others attending etc? auDA needs to evaluate why the turn up disaster.

Once again the information you have quoted of 380 members is factually incorrect. Do not believe all that you read and if you continue to quote 380 as fact you will be wrong.

Here is the proof.
https://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-org/board-meetings/2002/021014/
Section 9: Membership
auDA currently has approximately 70 financial members.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Once again the information you have quoted of 380 members is factually incorrect. Do not believe all that you read and if you continue to quote 380 as fact you will be wrong.

Here is the proof.
https://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-org/board-meetings/2002/021014/
Section 9: Membership

As I said I did not have the actual facts I quoted this person. Shoot an email off the the PHD writer and tell her she was wrong who is now on the AUDA TENDER PROCESS COMMITTEE.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/MurUEJL/2003/16.html
Liz Williams BA, MA, PhD Candidate, Queensland University of Technology

OH SHI$!
https://www.auda.org.au/news/announ...erest-to-its-registry-transformation-project/
Dr Liz Williams – Managing Director, Liz Williams Advisory
"Announcement regarding the assessment and evaluation of responses to auDA’s Request for Expressions of Interest to its Registry Transformation Project
Posted by auDA on 6 July 2017

auDA is pleased to announce the composition of the Tender Process Committee and the Tender Evaluation Committee applicable to the Registry Transformation Project.

Tender Process Committee

Dr Bruce Tonkin (Chairman) – Project Lead, Registry Transformation Project, auDA
Mr Peter Mason (Secretariat) – Project Manager, Registry Transformation Project, auDA
Dr Stephen Arnott PSM – Acting First Assistant Secretary, Strategy and Projects, Department of Communications and the Arts
Dr Liz Williams – Managing Director, Liz Williams Advisory
Adjunct Professor Nigel Phair – Director, The Centre for Internet Safety, University of Canberra
Mr Jay Daley – Chief Executive, NZRS Ltd

The purpose of the Tender Process Committee is to provide input on the tender process to attract and evaluate suitable products, technology and or services, and consider the tender management plan to ensure the tender process adheres to sound commercial practice. The Tender Process Committee will not make any formal assessment of the responses to the Request for Expressions of Interest (REOI).

Tender Evaluation Committee

Dr Bruce Tonkin (Chairman) – Project Lead, Registry Transformation Project, auDA
Mr Peter Mason (Secretariat) – Project Manager, Registry Transformation Project, auDA
Mr Jeff Schmidt – CEO, JAS Global Advisors, Chicago (alt. Mr Kevin White)
Mr Colin Egan – Partner and Lead of PPB Advisory’s Corporate Advisory Practice, Melbourne. (alt. Mr Peter Morris)
Mr Cameron Whitfield – Partner, PwC Digital Practice Group, Melbourne
Mr Charlie Offer – Partner, Cybersecurity, Ernst & Young, Melbourne (alt. Mr Mark Dingle)

Probity Auditors: KPMG Australia

The purpose of the Tender Evaluation Committee is to review and evaluate the responses to the REOI and the Request for Tender (RFT). The review will be against criteria developed as part of the tender documentation, and will include at least the following elements:

• Value for Money – taking into account financial and non-financial costs
    • Ability to meet and exceed the registry technical specifications
    • Ability to meet and deliver on Registry Transformation Project goals
    • Security capabilities – with respect to Security, Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability
    • Flexibility – including the ability to make changes to software to customise for auDA’s requirements and the degree of ongoing innovation
    • Whole-of-life costs – including payment model (e.g. upfront versus ongoing charges)
    • Experience and performance history in applying services to a TLD of similar scale and complexity of .au
The composition of both the Tender Process Committee and the Tender Evaluation Committee brings together extensive experience and expertise in the relevant areas necessary to provide objective, informed and responsive advice to the process, and to make an assessment in the best interests of the Australian community.

Both Committees commence with their respective roles with immediate effect.

auDA expects to make an announcement on the next steps of the tender process in the week of 24 July 2017. auDA will also be publishing an updated set of technical specifications in August for review by the Registrar Liaison Committee and for public comment.

Further information: Dr Bruce Tonkin, Project Lead (bruce.tonkin@auda.org.au) "

Lemon

Top Contributor
211 members as of 16 October 2002.
116 Demand, 75 Supply and 20 in the now-defunct "Representative Association" class.
https://web.archive.org/web/20021119052931/http://auda.org.au:80/about/members-list.html

Looks like I was a member in 2002 for 4 months. I totally forgot.
Seems like I forgot to pay my membership like 99 other members because by March 2003 there are only 113 Members.

It appears communication between auDA and it's members was as good then as it is now.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Seems like I forgot to pay my membership like 99 other members because by March 2003 there are only 113 Members.

It appears communication between auDA and it's members was as good then as it is now.
I'm sure most people think it is a waste of money and of no benefit when members are not listened to or the membership was/ is so one sided and obviously stacked over the years by several organisations / people.

Once again auDA how about FREE membership and the Canada model you know about... what are you scared of?
Online Candidate Statements for Elections
Online Elections
Online Forum for Elections to do Q and A
https://cira.ca/membership
https://cira.ca/membership/become-a-member

PaulS

Well, this was back in the very days of the organisation and processes and procedures were still being refined. If I recall correctly (and I was with Govt at the time) auDA undertook a pro-active audit of memberships in late 2002 and wrote to all members (as only 70 of 211 had paid their membership dues). Everyone had the chance to pay up, or not.
The initial spike in membership can likely be attributed to auDA being the "new kid on the block" at the time and many people had been very actively engaged in the consultations that led to its establishment. Naturally, this interest later waned. The difference with the 2002 experience is there was no assessment of eligibility or "suitability" but simply a check to see who was paid up - a requirement under the Constitution.
Two things to note here: 1) see just how useful it is to be able to go back to old Minutes and check decision-making processes? and 2) both before and after the membership audit, there was a far healthier balance between Demand and Supply class numbers.

Lemon

Top Contributor
The initial spike in membership can likely be attributed to auDA being the "new kid on the block" at the time and many people had been very actively engaged in the consultations that led to its establishment. Naturally, this interest later waned. The difference with the 2002 experience is there was no assessment of eligibility or "suitability" but simply a check to see who was paid up - a requirement under the Constitution.
I would also suggest that many members joined auDA at this time (2002) as a result of the release of Generic Domains and the subsequent auction. I have no recollection of the communications from auDA at that time

Lemon

Top Contributor
2) both before and after the membership audit, there was a far healthier balance between Demand and Supply class numbers.
Imbalance = Instability
auDA needs to address this issue and remove membership classes with there only being 1 class of "member".

Scott.L

Top Contributor
1) see just how useful it is to be able to go back to old Minutes and check decision-making processes?

I agree Paul, its essential to members to understand and follow the processes involved, especially a task as big as what that board faced back then, similiarily in the same way it is today with the obvious exception.

Board meeting minutes - 12 February 2001 -

The Panel is not in agreement over the issue of single registry versus multiple registries and will put both models forward in the report. The Panel has attempted as much as possible to separate the core and non-core elements of the registry function.

If only we were advised and involved with as much respect and transparency today, rather than employing guesswork trying to figure out what they have planned behind closed doors. (Welcome to HQ the new home of .au ????)

Thought bubbles go POP! And, a chair is torn apart in front of the board.

PaulS

I would also suggest that many members joined auDA at this time (2002) as a result of the release of Generic Domains and the subsequent auction. I have no recollection of the communications from auDA at that time
Very good point. There was an awful lot going on at the time: trying to establish the organisation, seeking government endorsement, establishing a membership base and yes, the lucrative generics auction.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member