What's new

Thoughts On How To Respond

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I recently received this email:
We notice that you have recently registered the domain name. I have been asked to check whether you have registered the name with the intention of onselling it or to actually use it for your own business because it seems like you do not currently run a related businesses.

Anyway if you are interested in offloading it please do get back in touch with further details.

Kindest regards
How do you think I should respond?

My normal response is something to the effect of:
I wasn't planning on selling it, and it has been earmarked it for future development, though I'm currently working on other projects which are taking priority for the moment.

So I guess I'm willing to consider offers if you want to buy it.
Though I don't think this would be sufficient in this situation. Thoughts?

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Does the 6 month rule apply? (they mention you recently registered it).

No need to let them know it's not under development... if you let on your are currently developing it, it's worth more to you in their eyes.

Last edited:

WG2010

Archived Member
Instead of this.

I wasn't planning on selling it, and it has been earmarked it for future development, though I'm currently working on other projects which are taking priority for the moment.

So I guess I'm willing to consider offers if you want to buy it.

I would write this but that doesn't mean either are correct. I just wouldn't play the domain name down like you did.
I wasn't planning on selling it as it has been earmarked for development. I'm currently working on many other projects which are of equal priority and hope to launch the website soon.

As we are still in the beginning phases of website development for this domain, I'm willing to listen to any offers if you are interested in buying it.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
they seem to be nearly accusing you of hoarding it ?

"because it seems you do not currently run a related business"

sounds a bit sour to me and i would be wary they might be making some kind of complaint

although it seems half the domains i search for have no site or 'under construction' on them

i would consider my reply carefully

Chris.C

Top Contributor
they seem to be nearly accusing you of hoarding it ?

sounds a bit sour to me and i would be wary they might be making some kind of complaint

i would consider my reply carefully
This is exactly what I'm worried about. I think there is an undercurrent within the email of trying to get me to "confess" to desiring to onsell it so they can make a complaint.

Of course I'm not adverse to selling a domain or two, even though I only buy with the intention of development. So I'm worried that if this mob want to get some evidence that I am willing to onsell to file a complain about this domain that it will bring all the other domains that I haven't had time to develop into question, which is course what I'd be really worried about.

Should I reference the AUDA policy of being allowed to buy domains based on the "domain monetisation" policy.

I wasn't planning on selling it as it has been earmarked for development. I'm currently working on many other projects which are of equal priority and hope to launch the website soon.

As we are still in the beginning phases of website development for this domain, I'm willing to listen to any offers if you are interested in buying it.
The only problem with this is that it's not true. I do intend to develop the domain, but I'd doubt it'd be within the next 6 months and I don't want to commit myself to developing and have these guys stalk me to make sure I do and potentially filing a complaint if I don't.

Does the 6 month rule apply?
I picked it up a couple of weeks ago after it dropped.

Maybe someone dropped it and wants it back.

:eek:

I'm not really sure what to do in this regard.

Of course there is the other option of just not responding. On the flip side I could just completely ignore there questions and ask who they are given they are using a free live account.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
unless you are in a rush to offload it I would reply back "Thank you for your email and interest in buying our domain name. We are developing the website and dont have any intentions of selling it at this time.... kind regards........"

contact them after the 6 month rule expires if you change your mind and do want to sell the website you have developed ( or name only )

Best to be cautious and make sure you always operate within "current" auda policy. Dont be fooled into telling them you want to sell or they may just let auda know and you might get your name cancelled by AUDA ( whether rightly or wrongly)

The 6 month rule is stupid and needs to be removed.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
unless you are in a rush to offload it I would reply back "Thank you for your email and interest in buying our domain name. We are developing the website and dont have any intentions of selling it at this time.... kind regards........"
Yeah this will probably be my strategy.

Best to be cautious and make sure you always operate within "current" auda policy.
What exactly is the AUDA policy in instances where people contact you?

The 6 month rule is stupid and needs to be removed.
Agreed.

This makes it sound like they aren't putting much monetary value in it if they see it as dead weight you need to "offload"...
Figured they were just playing down the value of it.

To date I have never had someone interested in a domain come to me saying "OMG you have a totally awesome name you don't seem to be using! I'd really like the opportunity to pay too much for it."

:)

...but I'm still holding out hope to receive that email one day.

Myself, I would be ignoring this (trap) letter until at least a little closer to the 6 month period is up...
A few people have mentioned they wouldn't do anything until the 6 months is up, but I don't understand what changes in 6 months time?

Nova

Top Contributor
I don't see anything wrong in responding to them. I think your approach is fine - I've used the same method twice with success - and in one of the sales, the buying party knew about auda and the 6 month rule - they didn't care.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Just affirm that you didn't register it for the purpose of selling it but nevertheless would consider selling it if the price was right. Remind them of the 6 month rule too if you like.

Really no need to worry about entrapment with this sort of thing. auDA aren't silly - if he went running to them waving an email where you'd said in response to his email you'd consider selling it as grounds for deletion they'd tell him to go jump.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
why do you feel the need to respond?
Human nature...

:rolleyes:

In the end I didn't really answer their question I just said:

Thank you for your email in regards to the domain name. I am interested to know who you are and what interest you have in the domain as well as how you found out that I owned the domain.
I thought I'd throw it back at them given that from memory it's considered SPAM to solicit someone from details collected via whois.

Plus this way I can feel out the buyer more before I tell them it's not for sale.

:rolleyes:

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Well the saga has taken a new direction - I don't know if I'm going to respond to this email. I think I'd just be asking for it if I did. I'm thinking just let her move on with her business and new domain.

Apologies for the delayed response - it is a busy time of year pre christmas.

I was the previous owner of the domain name and I also have the trading name registered at the department of fair trading (i.e own the rights to the trading name for my business activities). My previous IT provider allowed the domain name to expire during my break from the business without advising me so it is most unfortunate that it has now been purchased by yourself.

As a result I have sacked that IT service provider and a new service provider has registered a new domain name so it is back to business as usual. It would however nice to have the original domain name back if possible.

Chris, I did an internet search but could not find any details of your investment business so I am similarly interested to know
1) who you are and
2) what interest you have in the domain

Thoughts?

Has anyone else run into the problem of registering a previous own domains and have the previous owner come looking for it?

Nova

Top Contributor
after the 6 month rule is up, respond along the lines of 'please make an offer'. I wouldn't be responding now though to the last email as it's just fishing for information that's of no value to you to provide.

Luke

Top Contributor
From what I remember when I was in a similar situation, if you registered the name your entitled to it just as much as anyone else. There are large fees and procedures in place for claiming the rights to a an Australian domain, and it hardly ever works in their favour.

The first in first served policy applies.

Sounds like a great opportunity to sell it back and make some money though, I would tell them you're willing to consider offers after 6 months if the price is right, otherwise you intend on developing it.

There's no need to feel obliged to sell them this domain, especially because their business is now running under a different domain.

GL,

James

Top Contributor
I would not say any thing about "considering" offers...I would ignore it until the 6 months rule us up and then test the waters.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Well the saga has taken a new direction - I don't know if I'm going to respond to this email. I think I'd just be asking for it if I did. I'm thinking just let her move on with her business and new domain.

Thoughts?

Has anyone else run into the problem of registering a previous own domains and have the previous owner come looking for it?

Me thinks they want it .........BAD

i would have a blog up by tomorrow

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members