1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

The value of a keyword rich domain name

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by sensoryfx, Apr 27, 2011.

1. sensoryfx

sensoryfx Membership: Community

So it seems people will pay quite a bit for the right domain name but how much value is it really in terms of SEO ? And what is its real value if not in terms of SEO ?

From what little research Ive done, people say it is low on the list of priorities.
    One SEO expert said it has no value and he could get 'dog poo' to rank number one for womens perfume if he wanted to :eek:

2. sp@rky13

sp@rky13 Membership: Community

Having a keyword rich domain helps some but the content is the main thing that needs to be dealt with SEO wise (my belief at least). The reason a keyword rich domain is good is that it's fairly easy to remember and makes sense for the content.

3. coreyg

coreyg Membership: Community

before I purchase a domain name...I run it through www.valuate.com to check Freq. Searches, Traffic, Comp., CPC, and com/net/org (what's registered)

I then check the number of searches at Google.com & Google.com.au
    plus Google Insights for Search with and without the Filter @ http://www.google.com/insights/search/#
    view the Traffic @ http://www.alexa.com/

use the AdWords tool to check the number of AdWords advertisers info @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdWords
    check the Ad competition whether it is Low, Medium or High and Avg CPC $

What do other's do?

Cheers
    Corey

4. sensoryfx

sensoryfx Membership: Community

So really, if im going to develop a resource and try and make it valuable via SEO, and generate some advertising revenue from it, i could just start of with one of my existing domains ... eg. ezyebusiness.com and later on develop ezyelearning.com

5. Timmy

Timmy Banned

Keyword domains and advice can be both good and bad.

Many factors determine the value of a domain including brandability, length, age, search volumes, marketability and also lets not forget the old adage that "true beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Keywords domains aren't the be all and end all, but anyone who says they have no value is a tool.

Any domain is capable of ranking well, exact match and generics just make the process a million times easier. Your mate, the expert can have DogPoo.com.au any day - I'll take Perfume.com.au

6. James

James Membership: VIP

Exact Match Domains are good for SEO but I think they are going to be less and less powerful in comming years. Too many people are wining about them and the power is dropping, I know I have like 100 EMD domains.

I actually wrote about them the other day on my blog - http://jamesnorquay.com/the-exact-match-domain-debate-for-seo/ and how people are complaining.

Really you need links, links, social, on site optimization and great content to rank well for good terms but.

7. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Keyword rich domains deliver HUGE seo benefit, make no mistake.

DomainName.com.au
    CocktailRecipes.com.au
    Photographers.com.au
    CreditCheck.com.au
    BikeInsurance.com.au

All #1 in Google for their EMD keyword. I don't believe they would have a chance if it weren't for the domain.