What's new

Standard Catalogue Email Prompt Suggestion

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Hi NF, I'm back with more suggestions...

:D

So I was thinking about it today, often one might get an offer via the NF catalogue listing that they think is OK, but not great, and they will shoot back a counter offer, and then buyer might make an improved bid or they might not, but ultimately I find most of the time the counter offering fizzles out with the buyer and seller not being able to find middle ground, even if they weren't far off.

From time to time the buyers final counter offer leaves me torn about whether to accept it or not and as a result I normally submit what I consider to be a reasonable counter offer, but I want to give them as much of the 7 days as possible to decide whether they are willing to accept the domain at the counter offer price or again come back with a counter offer.

If after 6 days or so they, if they haven't responded, I normally decide if I'm willing to take their last offer or not, but it would be really good if we got an email that reminded us that an offer we have on a domain is expiring in 48 or 24 hours which suggested to the seller that they can either accept the offer or put in a lower counter offer or something, because often I forget about the offer, and it ends up just expiring and I look back at it a couple of days later and think to myself, man I should have just taken the money I can't believe I forgot.

And of course the flip side is true as well, I think an email should be sent to the buyer when they have received a counter offer that it has only 24 - 48 hours left before it expires.

And let's face it when either buyers or sellers have a time constraint placed on them they are far more likely start thinking about whether they are willing to budge a little more and a simple automatic email would probably do quite a bit to bring both buyer and seller back to the bargaining table, which is always a good thing for both parties.

:)

One thing you could also do with this, if you wanted to favour the sellers and try to get higher priced domain sales, would be send the email to the buyers with 48 hours to go encouraging them to make another bid or accept the counter offer, and then send one to the seller with 24 hours notice, so that you are encouraging the buyer to take action first (of course this would depend on the seller getting their counter offer to the buyer within 24 hours which I think is a good thing to encourage in general).

What's everyone think of my idea, both just as a reminder notice, and two as a strategy to helping get sales over the line?

DavidL

Top Contributor
Agree, agree, agree.

Chris, the Netfleet boys (and girl) owe you a nice Xmas present that's for sure

Mark

Top Contributor
Agreed. We have discussed this a while back but never got to implement

Will add to the list

Thanks again Chris, you have definitely won the title of top NF critique :)

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Dammit... did it again!

Forgot all about an initial bid I received on a domain after I counter offered and they never responded...

Oh well - hopefully the buyer comes back at some point...

:(

Chris.C

Top Contributor
It happened again... went out of town totally forgot about an expiring offer.

Now I have no way of rekindling the lead.

Wish I had of received an email prompt 48 hours before...

Is this feature any closer to being installed?

Mark

Top Contributor
Hi Chris

We haven't written the code yet for this, but I don't think it will be a huge job.

I'll have a better idea of timings tomorrow so will write back then

Cheers
Mark

Mark

Top Contributor
This has now been implemented guys.

You'll get a reminder email for all offers/counter offers with less than 24 hours to go.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Mark

Chris.C

Top Contributor
OK so it happened to me again today!

A domain which I had an offer on expired today. I would have accepted their offer except I had a counter offer pending that I was hoping they would get back to me on, which was only 20% higher than their latest offer so we were definitely in the same ballpark.

Of course like all things you get caught up with work and business... and I didn't receive the email notification that the offer was about to expire... and of course when it crossed my mind I logged into see that it expired earlier today...

:(

Last edited:

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Are you guys certain that this notification email is being sent?

I don't seem to be getting it...

Is anyone else getting it?

Also are you guys sending reminders to the buyers as well?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
FFS it happened again!

I forgot to accept a decent offer because I was waiting for a response from them to my counter offer and got caught up with all the distractions around Christmas and only just realised today.

Now the offer (which I would have accepted if I had of been prompted) has expired and NetFleet will miss out on the commission and the COR fees because there is no way for me to recontact the buyer or make him a new offer.

There was less than $150 between our offers... it seems stupid that I can't re-initiate contact with the buyer when we are that close to a deal.

Whilst I'm more angry at myself, I am still very disappointed with NetFleet that this simple feature hasn't be added yet.

Mark

Top Contributor
I'll check this out Chris - as I mentioned earlier in this thread we have implemented this so not sure why you are not getting reminders.

Please email/PM me with details so I can look in to.

Mark

Top Contributor
Hi Chris

We've checked this out and the reason you have not received any offer expiry emails is because you have already submitted a counter offer to all of your offers (very diligent I must say!)

The system only reminds you in case you have forgotten to counter or accept.

Cheers
Mark

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Oh i see.

However, i have prices on all my domains, so if someone doesn't pay my asking price then i counter offer and request a price that is closer to my asking price.

However sometimes they offer a price that is close to what I'm looking for so i counter offer with the price i want then wait to hear back from them, but often I'm busy and get caught up with other things and completely forget about their original offer which i would sometimes reconsider...

So i know i would be really appreciate getting the email reminder whether i have counter offered or not. Is that possible?

Mark

Top Contributor
However, i have prices on all my domains, so if someone doesn't pay my asking price then i counter offer and request a price that is closer to my asking price.

Yes, that's great and you do that well.

their original offer which i would sometimes reconsider...

Reminder emails aside - this isn't good negotiation practice to be honest. I think you should either accept the offer OR submit a counter offer. Submitting a counter offer then back tracking and accepting their initial offer days later has it's risks.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Reminder emails aside - this isn't good negotiation practice to be honest. I think you should either accept the offer OR submit a counter offer. Submitting a counter offer then back tracking and accepting their initial offer days later has it's risks.
In my experience 80%+ of people initially offer $100 for a domain. So by your logic I should just either accept or reject their original offer...

Yet about 75% of cases where I counter offer their initial $100 they come back with another offer that is more realistic and is many multiples of their original offer, but even then this is often not their best offer.

:cool:

On my most recent sale about a week or so ago I would have submitted at least 5 counter offers, until the buyer and I reached somewhere in the middle. Ultimately we were both happy to make the sale because the deal wouldn't have been done otherwise.

So whilst it's nice to believe that people would just offer their best price upfront and seller could just choose to accept or not accept unfortuantely that's just not the way it works in my experience.

Either way, more deals will get done if NetFleet sends sellers an email with 24 hours to go saying that an offer is about to expire.

If anything NetFleet has incentive to send emails to both buyers and sellers as offers and counter offers expire trying to encourage both parties back to the negotiating table given that NetFleet doesn't make any money if a deal isn't done.

So you guys should be encouraging buyers to try increase their offer just a bit more and telling them about all the great value of owning good domains and at the same time you should be encouraging sellers to submit one more counter offer to see if terms can be met.

;)

Mark

Top Contributor
I think you misunderstand me. You should offer/counter offer increasing/dropping your price each time, until you reach a price you are both happy with. Absolutely.

What I'm saying is bad practice, is submitting a counter offer, waiting for a few days, then back tracking and accepting their offer anyway - by which time the buyer might have moved on, disregarded the deal based on the counter offer, bought a different domain etc etc

Hope that makes sense

Cheers
Mark

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Oh I see.

Yes, I guess that is the risk you run.

That said, in my experience there haven't been many cases were buyers have bought something else in the time it has taken me to accept their offer. That's usually the good thing about domains there often aren't a great number of alternatives.

With that said I'd be more than happy for the 7 days to be reduce, because I don't really like all the cat and mouse stuff and would rather both parties look to find middle ground (or not find it) as quickly as possible.

I would be a happy advocate of offers only lasting 48 or 72 hours.

:eek:

Also back on topic - are you guys able to add an email notification for ALL offers that are about to expire regardless of whether the seller has sent a counter offer or not?

Mark

Top Contributor
We should be able to change the code easily enough for this

PS - With the other posts, we do take your comments on board and they are great suggestions. Just takes a bit of time to work through our dev items and to get an answer for you

Will be in touch

Cheers
Mark

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads