What's new

Some SEO Questions

shags38

Top Contributor
Hi all - I hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Here are some SEO questions I have - they are probably dumb questions but I am good at that.

Google Analytics data - Traffic Sources - what does it mean when you have Google.com/referral in the list of visitors sources in addition to Google Organic? The Google "dot" extension can be for any country followed by /refferal - on some of my sites I have about 25 plus of these. Maybe the question should really be how have those referrals been generated? (rather than what does it mean). Also are these referrals of similar "value" as organic visits?

Keywords / phrases in site metatags - the CMS (SitePro) I am using suggests no more than 20 keywords for a page and the page analysis tool will highlight excesses as an SEO negative if I enter more than 20. Is having more than 20 keywords a problem? I am not talking having hundreds however sometimes about 30-40 is what it can end up at when I insert what I think are relative keywords for the content of a page (particularly when entering phrases - see next).

Additionally - what is the advantage if any of keyword phrases versus singular keywords when entering them into your meta data. Example; "best 3d tv prices" as a phrase versus three individual keywords "3d tv", "best", "prices" ? (3d tv is technically a phrase however as individual 3d or tv being less than 3 characters they do not show in Google Analytics or Webmaster Tools stats). In my CMS the very first keyword or keyword phrase entered becomes the main keyword for the page. In the example above the phrase may only be on the page say 4 times whilst the word(s) 3d tv may appear 15 times given that "3d tv" is the number one keyword for the site and hence is utilized on every page. The topic of the page is best 3d tv prices. Will Google still see "3d tv" in isolation in the phrase and find all entries of 3d tv for keyword density or does the term "3d tv" need to be entered in the keywords list in its own right. Other phrases containing 3d tv could be on the page and hence in the keyword list (e.g. best 3d tv reviews; 3d tv best range and so on and so on).
So should the most common phrase that also contains the main keyword for the site be the first keyword entry or should I use the main keyword for the site followed by the phrase??

thanks in advance for your help.

Jayden

I'm only a noob on here so all I can do is give this a little bump :p hopefully someone with some experience can help you out! i'd love to read the answers too...

Search

Extra google referrals that show up in analytics could be Googlebot, crawling your site.

In terms of the keywords metatag, these days it is pretty much useless. Just remember that Google ignores it, so that gives you an idea of how much effort to put into it. If you do bother, I'd be going for 3-5 keywords in the meta tag per page. Definitely not 20+.

Don't insert every keyword that seems relevant to that page, just pick the top 3-5.

In terms of words vs phrases, go with relevant keyword phrases (2-3 words) rather than singular words. Singular words (eg. "prices" or "tv") are too generic. You want to be specific to the search engines about the content on your site. So something like "3d tv prices" would be better than "3d", "tv", "prices".

And remember that Google ignores the keywords meta tag!

Put more effort into your page titles instead. :)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member