1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Site Archive by National Library of Australia

Discussion in 'SEO & SEM Discussions' started by Ashman, Aug 20, 2015.

?

Would you have your website archived by a .gov.au given the considerations in the thread?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ashman

Ashman Membership: Trader

A client of mine was asked to have their website archived by the National Library of Australia. The library considered their website to be of significance for preservation. The clients whole website would be copied and made available on the library network, which is on a .gov.au domain.

An example of this process can be seen here: http://pandora.nla.gov.au/tep/136480 (Nyoongar Sports Association).

In the above example there are 2 links to the archived site and a back link to the publishers site.

Would this process undermine or have any adverse effects from an SEO perspective on the publishers site by creating dual content?

Would the back link from the .gov.au site to the publishers site have any significant SEO benefit given that the page rank from the URL is 0/10 but the Alexa Rank is about 14,000?

2. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    i'm not SEO but i have found no issues with duplicate content in the last 5 years, i think google has accepted that information will be duplicate, i always use the example that "teeth whitening" can only be explain in very little ways " we whiten teeth " so i can't see an adverse affect personally
    i can't see any major benefit for a link from a gov.au website to his site

and archive is a loose term when you look at the waybackwhen machine , as if its drawing from the files then once the files change it stops working, and websites are dynamic anyway so archive in my view is pointless unless you have it setup as a blog and the blog gets archived and all the urls stay correct.
    tim

3. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

One of my sites is archived there. Don't think it's an issue or benefit.

4. James

James Membership: VIP

chris and Ashman like this.