What's new

Singular, Plural or Both

duncan22

Just wondering everyones opinion on whether its better to buy the singular version of a name, the plural version or both if available (which doubles the holding cost). Singular usually have better search volume but plural would make a better business name.

Feel free to use these 4 as examples: (assuming all are going for market value not hand regs).

whitewine.com.au - 6,600 exacts
whitewines.com.au - 2,400 exacts

fridge.com.au - 18,100 exacts
fridges.com.au - 1,300 exacts

investment.com.au - 12,100 exacts
investments.com.au - 8,100 exacts

sydneyhotel.com.au - 260 exacts
sydneyhotels.com.au - 1,000 exacts

johno69

Top Contributor
Totally depends on your development plans for each. As a resell, I'd say grab both. The small cost to have both is negligible.

findtim

Top Contributor
if you are buying to HOLD and later sell grab both, if you are buying to develop then sell "grab both" :)

its rare that good domains are avail in both.

dubbodentist of course would be great for ONE dubbo dentist but dubbodentists would be better for a small directory, BUT if there was a dubbodentist that was a BIG practice that had 4 dentists in it then that would also make sense.

so ooooo the the story is "who is going to buy it" ? think about who the potential buyer will be before you purchase the domain.

think of "common language" sydneyhotelsssssssss is better because people want a variety to chose from, dubbodentist is better because they ...just want a dentist

i just always ask myself " how would i say it "

i did an example yesterday to a client, 1 of her domains google says it has 76 exacts a month ! but she gets 20,000++ unique visits a year , consistant for the past 7 years.

don't roll your dice on google exacts.

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I would want both in .com.au and .com , especially if going to develop a project, the .com.au for local and .com for expansion. Of course can be hard to secure all these days

duncan22

Thanks for the insights!

If you could only buy one domain and both were available at the same price which would you buy? (if u were going to sell fridges).

Fridge.com.au or Fridges.com.au?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
most say the plural is better for stores etc, but the singular has better branding appeal , to me a real toss of the coin although i think some industustries do better from the plural, car or cars ??

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member