What's new

Should Auda staff and policy makers join the forums and offer input?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Hi does anyone know if Auda is a member of the forums.. It might be best for them to actively get involved and learn about the real domain name market ( domainers etc)

Perhaps they could join in the legal area under policy and answer questions for all to see the answers to? This might help get some good transparency going and help all the forum members understand AUDA, the current policy and future policies?

It's taken many years for them to understand domain names in line with the rest of the world...still the .com.au policy is behind the rest of the world however.. perhaps they might learn a thing or to here in this forum actually. Domainers have a lot of value to add to the industry and they should taken on board what forum members here have to say. ( over 400 people here alone with $millions invested in .com.au names probably)

DomainNames

Top Contributor
YesI know they read it but we dont just want them reading.. we want them offering input and advice.. thats what they get paid to do via the AUDA fees they charge on every domain name registration and renewal. They could offer a lot of help to people if they join the forum

Last edited:

cherrytron

Top Contributor
auDA are trolls just lurking in the dark, don't say the wrong thing, they might find a way to take all of your domains off you

Whilst it would be good to have immediate access to them, my real answer to your question is "no". Unless they were going to join every domain forum, facebook, twitter etc and participate everywhere, I dont think they should feel obliged to be committed to a particular group of people. If this was the only place they participated, it might drive sign ups to this forum from the general public just wishing to interact with them.

I think they should keep all official Q&A and policy responses confined to their own corner of the web.

brettf

Unless they were going to join every domain forum, facebook, twitter etc and participate everywhere, I dont think they should feel obliged to be committed to a particular group of people.

Part of auDA's obligation is the education of the community around domains and domain policy.

I don't know what they spent this year on that function, but a few years back, most of the budget was blown on full page newspaper ads in the metro regions. Which I felt was a massive waste of time and $$.

Given their current staffing levels, I don't know why they don't embrace social media and participate in forums like this, or Whirlpool, have their own FB and Twitter pages etc. I would think answering one question here, would stop them having to answer the same question say 100 times over the course of a year by people who either participate in this forum or found the result via Google search.

brettf

open the second level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.auda.org.au/2010npp/2010npp-index/

Write to Lujia and say exactly that.

It's a topic that probably deserves it's own thread. I've always been pro-registrations in the second level, it's a more elegant solution in my opinion.

I always however felt domainers would generally against that, as it may lead to a decrease in value of their existing portfolio of domains?

DavidL

Top Contributor
Given their current staffing levels, I don't know why they don't embrace social media and participate in forums like this, or Whirlpool, have their own FB and Twitter pages etc. I would think answering one question here, would stop them having to answer the same question say 100 times over the course of a year by people who either participate in this forum or found the result via Google search.

They should at least allow comments (moderated) on their blog...

http://blog.auda.org.au/

neddy

Top Contributor
Part of auDA's obligation is the education of the community around domains and domain policy.

This is an excellent post (imho) Brett, and I wanted to give it a "bump".

I believe that 99% of domainers, domain owners, web developers etc want to do the right thing by the "rules and regs"
of auDA. Unfortunately there are still some grey areas when it comes to the "close and substantial rule"; and the "domain monetisation" rule.

That's why I suggested in our "takeover" post that I wanted to start a specific thread or sub-forum where people can ask auDA a question
without fear or favour.

IMHO, education is far better than penalising "innocent" offenders after the act.

I've spoken with auDA, and I'm hopeful that they may well see this as a good idea. At the very least, I'm hopeful that they will write an article
for their blog about "domain monetisation" and give some very specific examples of what is allowed - and what is not.

What do you all think?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
This is an excellent post (imho) Brett, and I wanted to give it a "bump".

I believe that 99% of domainers, domain owners, web developers etc want to do the right thing by the "rules and regs"
of auDA. Unfortunately there are still some grey areas when it comes to the "close and substantial rule"; and the "domain monetisation" rule.

That's why I suggested in our "takeover" post that I wanted to start a specific thread or sub-forum where people can ask auDA a question
without fear or favour.

IMHO, education is far better than penalising "innocent" offenders after the act.

I've spoken with auDA, and I'm hopeful that they may well see this as a good idea. At the very least, I'm hopeful that they will write an article
for their blog about "domain monetisation" and give some very specific examples of what is allowed - and what is not.

What do you all think?

An ASK AUDA section is the solution

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads