What's new

Should a domain only be bought, based purely on Google search figures?

domaina

I am looking at a purchasing a .com.au

Is it true that a domain name should only be based on google search results?

I have a great name that pulls low results? Does this mean it is not worth while if I am looking at on-selling it? It would be ideal for monetizing as the domain refers to the 'Holiday' niche.

djuqa

Top Contributor
depends on the plans you have for the name.
1/ If purely for parking, Forget it.
The traffic or lack of it would not make it viable.
2/ If you plan to develop it as a small site with some advertising income maybe Ok. depends on promotion you give it and whether google picks it up for the low search result term.
3/ If you plan to really brand and develop it around the niche market, than depending on your input and effort it could do very well.

One thing to remember about low numbers for search terms.
Before they were developed and promoted how many search results was there for "Twitter", "FaceBook", "Youtube", "Insert any Successful Site" ?

Last edited:

Shaun

Top Contributor

I have a great name that pulls low results? Does this mean it is not worth while if I am looking at on-selling it? It would be ideal for monetizing as the domain refers to the 'Holiday' niche.

No. You can buy great names that have low values. If someone is already in the space then they may have a better understanding of the real value of this name.

James

Top Contributor
no because google search volumes are very incorrect even on exact match I have seen instances where I rank first on a term which is meant to be say 2,000 exact match volume and you get like 50 hits a month. Even when my description and title is the best. Just a example never trust the data from google.

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
no because google search volumes are very incorrect even on exact match I have seen instances where I rank first on a term which is meant to be say 2,000 exact match volume and you get like 50 hits a month. Even when my description and title is the best. Just a example never trust the data from google.

Google is NOT incorrect.

The reason that you get more than the Google numbers may be because Yahoo and Bing bring more visitors. It's the case for one of my .com

Lorenzo

Top Contributor

There are many parameters for each different domain so in short, the answer is no.

James

Top Contributor
Google is NOT incorrect.

The reason that you get more than the Google numbers may be because Yahoo and Bing bring more visitors. It's the case for one of my .com

Um yes it is...

Google Keyword Tool is a guide only, Google owns what 93% of the Australia market, so you can not tell me bing/yahoo's 7% will make a huge impact for extra results.

I own 70 websites in different niches I know Google figures I deal with them all day, I also research things on a large scale for various clients, I deal with the KW tool all day...

The problem for the Australia market the Google tool is the best, the other keyword tools all have very poor data sets. You need your own tool or other forms of keyword research to mix every thing together...

coreyg

Top Contributor

What is the domain name you own?

Cheers
Corey

Honan

Top Contributor
Um yes it is...

Google Keyword Tool is a guide only, Google owns what 93% of the Australia market, so you can not tell me bing/yahoo's 7% will make a huge impact for extra results.

I own 70 websites in different niches I know Google figures I deal with them all day, I also research things on a large scale for various clients, I deal with the KW tool all day...

The problem for the Australia market the Google tool is the best, the other keyword tools all have very poor data sets. You need your own tool or other forms of keyword research to mix every thing together...

The OP hasn't mentioned the Keyword Tool
Maybe he/she be just quoting search result numbers

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
Um yes it is...

well, I mentioned .com , not .com.au

As I wrote previously, I can only analyze real examples. Keep in mind that each month is different so unless the trend is steady, it's likely you get different results.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
technology changes , just think of how many cloud names are being regged on speculation alone ? and yet the search volume is currently low for most but expected to rise over time

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo