What's new

SEO without a blog

Ash

Top Contributor
Hi all,

Just wondering if its possible to improve SEO significantly without access to an onsite blog? Would you create new content on generic keyword domains and link to the site you want to rank using keyword rich links?

Company site is locked in with a crummy CMS that does not support blogging and just wondering what options are available.

Cheers.

James

Top Contributor
Yes you still can for sure, Just create category level pages with content and update them regularly with related content and social/links/push the content via these pages.

I know some CMS's do not work well with blogs but you can usually custom ones done for any CMS.

Blogs are great for making fresh content which you can link up social aspects too.

Ash

Top Contributor
Thanks James

I might just shoot you an email as well to discuss potential SEO work on the site.

Gloyns

Ash - have you considered installing Wordpress on a subfolder outside of your current CMS? If the company CMS doesn't allow for easy content publishing then I'd seriously push for budget to migrate to a CMS that does - if organic traffic is important to you.

Ash

Top Contributor
Hi Gloyns, we are very much locked in with the CMS provider for a range of reasons, e.g. integrated CRM etc... which makes it difficult. The best 'solution' they have offered is to iframe a wordpress blog, but my understanding is that would make no difference to on page SEO?

joe

Top Contributor
The best 'solution' they have offered is to iframe a wordpress blog

jeebus.. I'd love to hear their 'worst solution' LOL

I was also going to suggest the subfolder option but if you're stuck i'd say go with James' suggestions, structure your content intelligently and just mimic blog functionality if you can. Plenty of ways to skin a cat.

Gloyns

Yep, afaik search engines won't read inside iframes (at least I hope not!). Hmm, tough one. I think James has the best suggestion.

Perhaps you could try to push for the feature in the future if you're a large enough client for the CMS provider.

joe

Top Contributor
Yep, afaik search engines won't read inside iframes (at least I hope not!)

They read it, but will attribute it to the source document.

i.e. say index.html is framing blahblah.html, the framed content will be indexed on blahblah.html.

Unless something has changed recently?

Ash

Top Contributor
Thanks for the helpful responses guys. Will take your advice and push traffic via blog on a separate keyword domain.

Gloyns

I wouldn't do that - I'd do what James said and create category pages with content within your existing domain

Ash

Top Contributor
Ahhh, ok. Misinterpreted what was being said. I just read 'category pages' and was automatically thinking wordpress. Thanks for clearing that up... but I must ask, is there any value in pushing traffic to the main site via a blog on keyword domain?

Gloyns

There is value if the keyword domain would actually get the links/marketing to get traffic and exposure, however nine times out of ten you'll benefit more from publishing the content on your own domain.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo