What's new

satan (.net.au)

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I don't see the value either sorry.

I don't know if I'd even see much value in satan.com.au let alone the .net.au

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Any creative ideas on possible usage?! A heavy metal forum perhaps?
I think there are lots of things you could do with it, ie a heavy metal forum, but as a domain by itself it doesn't hold much value as you could name your heavy metal forum any number of names that are still available.

Plus if it was me I'd still opt for a .com.au

iejs

It's always interesting to see what others have done with the same name elsewhere.

www.satan.com redirects to the GospelMediaNework.com - there's a kind of logic at play there, I suppose.

However, my personal favourite is www.satan.co.uk which goes to Halfords - a major car accessories and so forth retailer in the UK. Truly bizarre!

snoopy

Top Contributor
Leave these uncommercial .net.au's on the table.

Yeah it's pretty hard to come up with a good use for this one.

Any creative ideas on possible usage?! A heavy metal forum perhaps?

How about "a really obvious usage where even an idiot could make money from it", that is the what makes for a good domain. If you have to brainstorm to think up a potential usage, forget about registering that name.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
South Australian Tax Accountants Network

I like it! :D

It's always interesting to see what others have done with the same name elsewhere.

www.satan.com redirects to the GospelMediaNework.com - there's a kind of logic at play there, I suppose.

However, my personal favourite is www.satan.co.uk which goes to Halfords - a major car accessories and so forth retailer in the UK. Truly bizarre!

Epic examples!

Definitely just 'novelty value' on this domain. Not a money spinner by any stretch, but I still like it.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor

How about "a really obvious usage where even an idiot could make money from it", that is the what makes for a good domain. If you have to brainstorm to think up a potential usage, forget about registering that name.

Are you the fun police Snoop?! I thought there were some pretty amusing suggestions.

I was interested to see what people thought the value of the domain might be, I didn't say at any point I thought it was valuable.

It's an unusual domain, that's why I regged it. Who knows, maybe I'll forward it to a politicians website or something :D

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor

Given that I've already registered the domain, how helpful and constructive would you objectively say your comment is?!

I noted a few posts back that it's clear this domain holds novelty value at best and I asked people what they thought it could be used for.

I appreciate your feedback, but please try and stick to constructive criticism.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Given that I've already registered the domain, how helpful and constructive would you objectively say your comment is?!

I noted a few posts back that it's clear this domain holds novelty value at best and I asked people what they thought it could be used for.

I appreciate your feedback, but please try and stick to constructive criticism.

Let's go back to your first post,

I'm curious to know what people think the value is of:

satan (.net.au)

Cheers

Demonoid

You are asking people what the value is, that is clear.

Now I'm telling you I think the value is $0.

I think my post was extremely constructive, "stay away from names like this" is the best advice I can give, sometimes constructive advice isn't what people "want" to hear. It would be nice to be told this is a good domain, but that won't help you, that isn't the realty of it, it would likely result in more money being spent on similar names.

My second point was that when you need to think up some creative use the name is probably worthless.

Obvious = good
Not obvious = bad

If a name need explanation or there is some brainstormed usage like "a forum" then that is a pretty sure sign of a bad domain. If the name doesn't have a clear usage the chance of someone "really needing" that domain is very low.

And lastly yes, I am the fun police. I'm like the nagging wife on your back telling you to stop wasting money on crap, unfortunately though the nagging wife is often right (in my experience).

Last edited:

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Let's go back to your first post,

You are asking people what the value is, that is clear.

Now I'm telling you I think the value is $0.

I think my post was extremely constructive, "stay away from names like this" is the best advice I can give, sometimes constructive advice isn't what people "want" to hear. It would be nice to be told this is a good domain, but that won't help you, that isn't the realty of it, it would likely result in more money being spent on similar names.

My second point was that when you need to think up some creative use the name is probably worthless.

Obvious = good
Not obvious = bad

If a name need explanation or there is some brainstormed usage like "a forum" then that is a pretty sure sign of a bad domain. If the name doesn't have a clear usage the chance of someone "really needing" that domain is very low.

And lastly yes, I am the fun police. I'm like the nagging wife on your back telling you to stop wasting money on crap, unfortunately though the nagging wife is often right (in my experience).

Well the $0 value was clearly established. But if it's already regged What's the harm in looking at possible uses for it? I'm prepared to hear that it has zero value, I'm not looking for people to tell me that a bad name is great. Would I reg this again, no, but it's in my account now.

Ash

Top Contributor
I'm prepared to hear that it has zero value, I'm not looking for people to tell me that a bad name is great. Would I reg this again, no, but it's in my account now.

I think this point answers your question demonoid and is the point snoopy is making. Just here you acknowledge that you probably wouldn't register the name again so let's extend that logic and rephrase the question to think of development ideas...

I'm prepared to hear that it has zero value, I'm not looking for people to tell me that a bad name is great. Would I spend my time, effort and money to develop this domain again, no, but i've done it now.

I'm not trying to be smart here but just tapping in to the old mantra of 'if I knew then what I know now'. The question you need to ask yourself is what's your time, effort and money worth on developing this domain?

Last edited:

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I think my post was extremely constructive, "stay away from names like this" is the best advice I can give, sometimes constructive advice isn't what people "want" to hear.
+1

I wish I was a member of these forums back when I first started buying domains and snoppy could have badmouthed some of my earlier "great" registrations. I'd probably have half the domains that I currently have. Reg fee times by hundreds of domains = a lot.

:eek:

And I also agree with snoppy on constructive criticism, in that the MOST constructive advice is often the advice you least want to hear because it throws reality in your face.

People that really give a shit about you aren't afraid to make you aware of your blind spots. People that don't REALLY care about you will tell you what you want to hear to protect your ego (which doesn't serve you) and save themselves a fight or awkwardness.

unfortunately though the nagging wife is often right (in my experience).
But you just can't tell them that...

;)

Well the $0 value was clearly established. But if it's already regged What's the harm in looking at possible uses for it?
Actually there is A LOT of harm in him suggestion "uses" for it because you'd go from throwing $20 down the drain to throwing hundreds of dollars down the drain.

Don't throw good money after bad. It's again all about not letting your ego make your investments.

Most days there are domains that drop that are worth registering and developing.

You could spend $100 - $200 buying a semi-decent domain, then another $500 developing a reasonable site which would actually start making you money from nothing but advertising.

Or you could take the $700 spend it on starting a heavy metal forum, and it probably would still never become profitable.

I'm prepared to hear that it has zero value, I'm not looking for people to tell me that a bad name is great. Would I reg this again, no, but it's in my account now.
If you wouldn't register it again, then just forget about it and move on. It's a sunk investment. There are plenty of fish in the see.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo