What's new

Reputation Management Article - Get your name as a domain

chris

Top Contributor
Saw this today, not sure if Snoopy would agree with the first suggestion for an alternative! I sat in on a workshop a few weeks back and they mentioned the same thing, we're definitely seeing more of this sort of advice getting mainstream attention.

Problem: The .com.au domain for your name has been snapped up by your Google twin.
Solution: You can register the other versions such as .net.au or .com, or use a middle name or initial and get a .com.au. You can also add something descriptive, for example, johnsmiththemechanic.
Best advice: “One tactic is to use the word ‘official’, so the domain becomes theofficial johnsmith,” says Davies, as it gives weight to your image and provides you with a unique domain.

The "official" idea is ok I suppose, but is "theofficialjohnsmith.com" better than johnsmith.me for example? What do you think?

You can read the full article here:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/b...evil-google-twin/story-fn5lic6c-1226520349456

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:

Ash

Top Contributor
"TheOfficial..." sounds like something a celebrity might do.

What about adding 'Mr' or 'Mrs' in front if keeping to .com/.com.au.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Wouldn't worry about this unless the person actually has definite plans to build a site on it, registering a cheesey alternative will not "protect" anyone's reputation.

I did once own the .net & .org of my name, let them drop as it isn't worth paying the renewal on a marginal name that I wasn't even using.

Keep your money in your pocket.

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
flawed strategy as there are too many extensions these days so if someone wants to check you...just give them your website...

without "theofficial" something like www.lorenzo.com.au :rolleyes:

atom

Administrator
"TheOfficial..." sounds like something a celebrity might do.

Agreed. Personally I don't really think it works for anyone who isn't well known. I'd rather have the .me or some other extension.

.tel anyone?

findtim

Top Contributor
there's actually a fair few timconnell 's in aus , timothy is my real name , there's a bunch of tim/timothy out there so maybe one will become the next big brad pitt and i get a knock on my door.

as for domainer of the year i don't think so but sounds like a good award, maybe we start the "victorian domainer of the year " i think it was mentioned in another thread.

chris do you want to do this for the xmas party ?

tim

chris

Top Contributor
as for domainer of the year i don't think so but sounds like a good award, maybe we start the "victorian domainer of the year " i think it was mentioned in another thread.

chris do you want to do this for the xmas party ?

tim

We have a few awards planned - all in good fun, stay tuned.

Cheers,
Chris

findtim

Top Contributor
My next pickup line ..............hey babe did you know i was voted victorian domainer of the year!

girls reply " ? "

i love it when people put on their websites "award winning........."

in 1992 i put a photograph in the royal brisbane show and got a bronze award, THUS, i was an award winning photographer :eek:

i also know of photographers who have produced websites using ISTOCK images and not their own :eek:

we are now off track:)

bring on the awards

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads