What's new

Rekindling Old Leads

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I'm back with more ideas...

:D

Ok so I was wondering is there any reason why domain owners aren't allowed to send through other counter offers to those who have previously offered to buy a domain in the netfleet catalogue.

ie, if someone offers $300 for a domain, and I turn around and ask for $1000, then they counter offer with $400 and I say my final offer is $900 so the deal isn't closed and both offers expire, yet 3 months later I could be like I'd be willing to sell it for $500 these days, shouldn't I be able to send through the new offer to previous bidders, I'm pretty sure they'd be keen to know I'd lowered my asking price.

Thoughts?

Mark

Top Contributor
Welcome back!

I understand your reasoning here, but too much flexibility could be a bad thing.

With just once chance to submit a counter offer the seller I believe would make a more considered and realistic counter. If they could submit multiple counter offers, then why not try you luck with a whopper, if you know you can follow up a couple of months later with a 'realistic' counter.

We changed the offer/counter offer expiry from 30 days to 7 days, to create a sense of urgency and not leave buyers/sellers wait too long. I'd worry that implementing the option to counter at any time, we'd be taking a step back.

What does everyone else think?

Lucas

Top Contributor
ie, if someone offers $300 for a domain, and I turn around and ask for $1000, then they counter offer with $400 and I say my final offer is $900 so the deal isn't closed and both offers expire, yet 3 months later I could be like I'd be willing to sell it for $500 these days, shouldn't I be able to send through the new offer to previous bidders, I'm pretty sure they'd be keen to know I'd lowered my asking price.

I thought exactly the same thing just yesterday. I was looking through some domains on Netfleet and found one that I was interested in that last had an offer in 2010. I wondered if it were possible, given that it had been for sale for some time, the seller would consider an offer less than the last offer that was placed in 2010.

I think one way of doing it would be to have a seller set a minimum offer amount (not the same as target price) so that low ball offers automatically get rejected but anything over the sellers pre-defined mark would at least get seen, a bit like eBays best offer system.

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
supply and demand theory, thats basically it, someone whats to get rid of it and someone wants to buy it.

the 7 days "sense of urgency" and "fear of loss" is valid but eventually a sale goes stale, and its not because it is a bad "product" but maybe the right person hasn't seen it yet.

there is a difference between "the NEED to sell and the DESIRE to sell" so bidding lower then the last bid price if its gone stale is valid to me.

"but too much flexibility could be a bad thing."

no no no, go the POSITIVE, i had a boss once that had a sign on his door which was ALWAYS slightly open, and it read " have you come with the solution or are you part of the problem" , geez that use to shit me but i can tell you what i learnt from that guy is priceless.

which means for me there is a positive outcome here to make income for everyone we just need to find the system to create it.

tim

DavidL

Top Contributor
How about you get one second bite at the cherry with a counter offer but it must be the same as your last counter?

That way people wouldn't hold back with a 'soft' counter offer knowing that they'll have a chance to put in a more realistic counter later.

But still gives sellers a chance to reignite the negotiation.

Mark

Top Contributor
supply and demand theory, thats basically it, someone whats to get rid of it and someone wants to buy it.

the 7 days "sense of urgency" and "fear of loss" is valid but eventually a sale goes stale, and its not because it is a bad "product" but maybe the right person hasn't seen it yet.

there is a difference between "the NEED to sell and the DESIRE to sell" so bidding lower then the last bid price if its gone stale is valid to me.

"but too much flexibility could be a bad thing."

no no no, go the POSITIVE, i had a boss once that had a sign on his door which was ALWAYS slightly open, and it read " have you come with the solution or are you part of the problem" , geez that use to shit me but i can tell you what i learnt from that guy is priceless.

which means for me there is a positive outcome here to make income for everyone we just need to find the system to create it.

tim

I'm not sure how your bosses open door policy has any relevance on whether a seller can submit a counter offer months down the line. I wasn't making a sweeping generalisation here - of course everyone wants flexibility and room to move, but it's important to not create a negative buying experience either.

If you make an offer on a house and it gets rejected, you wouldn't get the seller hitting the buyer up months later when he's already moved in to his new home.

I understand what you're saying though - would be great to tempt buyers back some way, and pretty sure there is a solution we can find.

Suggestions welcome!

Mark

Top Contributor
How about you get one second bite at the cherry with a counter offer but it must be the same as your last counter?

That way people wouldn't hold back with a 'soft' counter offer knowing that they'll have a chance to put in a more realistic counter later.

But still gives sellers a chance to reignite the negotiation.

Yes, could be an option. Or maybe going back to one of Chris C's previous suggestions that sellers should be able to ask buyers questions? Or would that still lead to 'soft' counters...

Chris.C

Top Contributor
With just once chance to submit a counter offer the seller I believe would make a more considered and realistic counter. If they could submit multiple counter offers, then why not try you luck with a whopper, if you know you can follow up a couple of months later with a 'realistic' counter.
Um... just so you know this is exactly what I do right now, but just on a 7 day timescale

Let's say someone bids $100 for a domain (let's face it most first offers are around here unless the domain has previously had offers) for my first counter offer I work out what the rough retail price for the domain would be, let's say it's $1000 and I up it by 50% (that's my whopper markup which gives me a bit of room to negotiate as well), which would mean I counter offer with $1500. I normally try and do this within 60 minutes of receiving and offer.

Then I wait.

:)

If you have a serious buyer that sees value in domains they often come back with something in the $300 to $500 range at which point you have yourself a negotiation and with any luck you will find yourself selling for somewhere in the range of $750 and $1250.

If after 2 or 3 days you haven't received a counter offer what I often do is send through ANOTHER counter offer (which netfleet allows you to do - I don't know if you meant this to be the case but it is) and I assume this sends them another email, which I see as a bit of a prompt for them to reconsider. This time I probably offer $1200, which shows them I'm willing to negotiate but I'm not willing to sell at a 80% discount or anything (ie I'm not selling for $200).

I'd say reducing the counter offer price brings the buyer back to the table about 30% of the time even though I've only reduced the price by 20% and they will usually bid something a bit higher, sometimes they go to $150 to $250 (that said sometimes it really is a case of they just missed the last email or forgot and they end up sending through a decent counter offer). At which point I counter again this time at the 100% of retail price, which would be $1000.

Finally if we still aren't getting towards the same ball park I often end the negotiation with a counter offer at 25% below my expect retail price, which would be $750. Then I just call it a day and figure if they aren't willing to buy good value when they see it I'll just have to wait until someone who sees the value comes along.

The point is I already submit multiple counter offers and everything seems quite happy and amicable with my process when I talk with people via the Q & A or when a sale is made.

My only disappointment is that negotiations can stagnant ie the buyer bids $300 when I think retail is $1000, and my final offer way $800, so the deal isn't done, but I get frustrated when in 6 months time my need to raise capital might be higher and the buyers perceived value of domain names has probably increased and I see all these previous offers which in the past weren't in the ballpark of what I was willing to sell for now being not too far off. So I just which I could rekindle the lead by sending through a quick, easy, painless new counter offer of say $550 a couple of months later, which might get snapped up by the buyer for all we know and both parties could be very happy with the outcome.

:rolleyes:

Then of course there is moronic situations where I get an offer of like $750 for a domain that I think should retail for $1200 and I leave my final counter offer as like $1100 and get all stubborn about it only to realise a couple of weeks later I was a moron and should have taken the money.

Or worse you counter with $1100 for a domain you value at $600 hoping they will accept, but are happy in the knowledge that you have an offer of $750 which you fully plan to accept (given you have 7 days to accept) if they don't accept your $1100 counter, but then you forget to accept it 7 days later and the offer expires and they don't counter offer or accept your counter offer!

:eek:

Point is, does it do much harm to allow sellers to also initiate new offers and to rekindle leads that are of buyers who are obviously interested in the domain and whom I'm sure would be interested to know if the sellers circumstances have changed?

At the end of the day the buyers have the exact same ability, ie they can make an offer which lasts 7 days which the seller sends a counter offer to which they don't accept so they just let the offers expire, before submitting another offer a week or two later. So does it hurt to give the seller the same ability?

I'm not saying you would promote this feature, and I still think the VAST majority of both buyers and sellers want to close the deal ASAP (that includes me as well).

And if you were worried about people abusing the system maybe you could limit the number of new offers they could send to previous bidders whose offers have expired to one every 3 months or something.

Anyway... please give it some thought.

findtim

Top Contributor
my "bosses open door" analogy was about being open to positives rather then spending time on negatives.

I understand in the end its netfleets business and they make the rules, it was just about exploration of ideas.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members