What's new

Redirecting domains....need advice :)

Webfunk

Top Contributor
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at buying a couple of domains that include the keywords or phrases that I am aiming for on google. Unfortunately, the only one's that seem to be available are the .net versions. Is it worth buying these and simply redirecting them to my website? Do I need to actually create another website or landing page for this domain for SEO purposes or is redirecting enough?

Not sure how it all works...

Cheers for any advice,

joe

Top Contributor
No point redirecting a domain with no traffic, rankings or link equity. Better to develop the names as standalone sites and point links from them to your main site. Best approach would be to use that time, money and effort improving your main site so others would want to link to it.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
No point redirecting a domain with no traffic, rankings or link equity. Better to develop the names as standalone sites and point links from them to your main site. Best approach would be to use that time, money and effort improving your main site so others would want to link to it.

+1

James

Top Contributor
If you are a big brand buying say 50 miss spellings to protect your IP and then re directing these domains to the main url will provide a small amount of value. It can be expensive yet some of these miss spellings can get like 10k visits a year I have seen with clients.

But for a smaller operation I would not advise on it, as said above the best way to do things is via building out the website on a various c-block server and unique content then linking them up.

Webfunk

Top Contributor
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

So even if you have a domain that exactly matches the user's search query, doesn't mean it will show up the top?

joe

Top Contributor
So even if you have a domain that exactly matches the user's search query, doesn't mean it will show up the top?

I wish. There's some ranking benefit for the exact phrase but it's only one of many factors. Still have to do some actual work to get/maintain good rankings.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member