What's new

Questions about registering a .au domain?

chris

Top Contributor
Hi all,

Over the past few months I've had a few questions from newer members about what they need in order to register a .au domain. In a nutshell, they've incorrectly been led to believe that it's highly restrictive or very expensive to register a .au domain name for their business or related projects.

I usually run over the basics that are required for purchasing a .au domain name (e.g ABN, eligibility etc.) and point them to the list of current policies at auDA for more information. However, I know this can be quite overwhelming for people who are new to the .au domain space.

So, I'm starting this thread for anyone who has any questions about how to buy a .au domain name. If other DN Trade members could share their advice and experiences also, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Whats in a name?

It appears to me 'A Lot' when dealing with Au registrations.

Looking at the policies, I guess the two I would like clarified a bit more are http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2008-05/ Schedule A (8), Schedule C 2(a)(b) and also http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2008-10/ in relation to monetisation polies.

1) In relation to the first posted policy in this post...is the wording relationship based on a 'current' operation in relation to 'the business', or prospective future operations once evaluated? For example if the registrant wants to register a name that is not currently related, but may be in future if monetised (according to the monetisation rules must have related /content/placements in relation to the AU registered name), is this allowed.

2) What parameters would deem schedule A (8) being alleged. eg What classifies a domain to be purchased for this purpose, how long do you have to do something with (or hold a domain) a domain, or perhaps one may buy a domain with a view to evaluate its future prospects and then decide it is surpless to their immediate needs ;) and want to move it...would this breach this rule?

This is probably the start of my questions on this...there is a lot of policy that from the outset forces anyone that registers an AU domain without the immediate plan to develop it for bricks and mortar business to monetise them by parking (or crappy content) until a perspective buyer trips over their site and maybe makes an offer.

If however you have the inspiration to find prospective 'worthy' valuable domains that may be of interest to specific group or orginisation then you cant register it and offer it for sale to them (or on the open market)....according to the rules, it would be better for someone (according to the rules) to park it or develop it than have an established business given the opportunity to capitilise on it themselves.

No confusion here at all :D.....okay I'm lying :confused: .

Is this process supposed to enhance the AU brand? Sorry to say it (and kudos to domainers that have half decent sites developed on their domains), but lets face it...isnt this forcing a lot of trashy parked au' pages to pop up instead of protecting the industry and providing quality info/services to the AU public? It doesnt make much sense to me.

I am sure now that Chris has provided a link to the policies that I will have more questions on au policies so please bear with me.

Cheers Jay

chris

Top Contributor
Hi Jay,

Not sure what the question is here, any chance you can break it down to one at a time and we'll try to help?

Cheers,
Chris

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Q1 and Q2 above.

Does the name association have to be based on the current business or is 'future use' a consideration if reging for monetisation to comply with the business/word association requirement for au domains? To park a domain it is meant to have name/word related ads, but by the wording as it is it implies that I have to have the word association there when I register it....so which is it?

and

What is classed as registering for the purpose of reselling? How long must you hold it for (if there is a min period)? Can I reg a domain then decide (after evaluating my optons within a short or extended period of time) I dont want to keep it but discover someone else could use it...what is the fine print (or implied fine print) on this?

Obviously I'm looking for a piece of the AU action...just want to make sure I'm not breaking the rules in the process and get myself deregistered or what ever it is that AuDa can do.

Thanks in advance

Jay

goldnugget

Top Contributor
If no-one wants to go public with this stuff...pm me please.

Got another question: If I was to register a business by the name of (example only) 'Domain Evaluation and Development' ....would that mean that any domain (subject to trademark limitations) could be registered by the business as it is a domain centred business? (word/name/association requirement of registereing an .au)

Cheers...sorry about the bumped post, I wasnt quick enough modify/edit the previous post.

Jay

findtim

Top Contributor
i have a fair few registered business names then multiple domains under each business name relating to the business sector, for years i have been using the clause which was explained to me as " something that the business does "

i think even that is old hat now and as NF and drop show its bacically a free for all.

i rarely buy domains outside of my core businesses but have no issues if something comes up i will.

i think if you went and registered a business name " domain investing and laundromat " :) then you could just register what ever you want.

tim

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Thanks Tim. I'm looking through the official rules from AuDa and wanting to make sure what can and cant be done. I was think of the 'registering domains related to the business name' thing and had that lightbulb moment last night (or early this morning) as a workaround.

I mean the industry and demand as you stated is already there.

I have apersonal ABN registered in the IT category from memory, just need to update details, so that is one step done.

Tell you what though, I am glad ASIC has taken over business registrations, looks much cheaper than what it used to be in QLD.

Thanks again Tim...will pm you with a couple more questions if thats alright.

Looking forward to others suggestions/comments.

Jay

findtim

Top Contributor
no worries, i think you are "over thinking it" , there are HEAPS of great threads on dnt explaining all this from much more knowledgable people then me, my hint is just check the date of the comment post as things change.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member