What's new

QR codes...

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
A couple things I'll add to this. The longer the url is, the more complicated the qr code is, therefore the harder it is to scan it. Make use of tinyurl etc, or use a link such as mydomain.com.au/link which redirects to somelongasurl.com/dsfdsf etc.

Also, depending on who you're marketing it to, the ad may need to make it rather obvious what the QR code is for.

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
Thanks for the link.

As much as I like the idea behind QR Codes, users actually connecting with them I see as very limited. Who wants to pull out the phone, load up the QR code reader app and scan? Not I. (unless it is something important that I'm looking for; say QR codes on a real estate sign or similar).

goldnugget

Top Contributor
I agree, I can see the value of it in some areas of promotion, other areas its probably a 'try hard' tool for someone that just wants to be a part of everything.

I was looking at some print promotion options today for a project when it caught my eye in a tourism guide and havent seen mention of it here which is why I thought I'd share it.

Another handy tool is a Favicon generator for those that develop...makes it much easier to find a favourites link from a dropdown menu http://favicon-generator.org/

findtim

Top Contributor
goldnugget i do note you stated " some areas......"

bored people at bus stops, tags on people entering seminars, events and conventions, i think qr is valid.

qr is a good use of "realestate" in a traditional media advert, it basically is the click/link button of a paper advert, i have a few clients that use it VERY well and get success.

saves typing "www.domainname.com.au/2013, for your pubs new years eve promo page.

blue wren: as you enter a pub in your town of 10 pubs and you can scan a qr that will in the future tell you when every happy hour is about to begin, what specials are on bundy rum, what bands are playing next week. it will take you to a webpage where you can signup for a free case of beer promo and then automatically download the App that is called "tamworth" because thats where the person lives ( or ulladulla it doesn't matter)

tim

Thanks for the link.

As much as I like the idea behind QR Codes, users actually connecting with them I see as very limited. Who wants to pull out the phone, load up the QR code reader app and scan? Not I. (unless it is something important that I'm looking for; say QR codes on a real estate sign or similar).

I agree with Blue Wren, also QR Codes are the enemy of domain names and domainers. We need to be promoting domain names, not QR codes. Quality domain names are always memorable, domain names are far better for marketing than QR Codes

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Qr codes have been popular in japan for decades and were first used to track carparts in the toyota factory (from memory) they are just coming into their own and are now appearing on many things, sooner or later a qr code scanner will come with every smartphone as a standard feature, whether there is any money for domainers is debatable

i have qrtshirt.com

findtim

Top Contributor
I agree with Blue Wren, also QR Codes are the enemy of domain names and domainers. We need to be promoting domain names, not QR codes. Quality domain names are always memorable, domain names are far better for marketing than QR Codes

wow, i don't see that at all, i see a good relationship between doms and qr's

tim

goldnugget

Top Contributor

Interesting post. I never looked at it from the point of replacing a decent domain but looking at QR codes to open up more traffic options to a developed or referal site for mobile devices.

A memorable domain I think will always have value as long as we are directly keying in search terms and web addresses. As long as there are keyboards attached to a pc, that will be the case. In the case of most mobile devices, lets be honest even texting is a challenge for able individuals let alone people with disabilities or those with severe arthritis.

Domain popularity and value will always probably be linked to search volume. The death of the domain (trader) will arrive with the death of search engines, for the rest of us that develop QR codes where applicable could be a handy promotional tool.

If the moderator prefers, this post could be probably moved to the web development section of the forum.

Jay

johno69

Top Contributor
wow, i don't see that at all, i see a good relationship between doms and qr's

tim

Yes a relationship between QRs and shit domains. Who needs a good domain when they are just scanning the code anyway.

If QR becomes huge, there will be less demand for premium domain names.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member