What's new

product shot on kitchen table

findtim

Top Contributor
hi, another simple photo setup, you will need a little photoshop afterwards

http://screencast.com/t/X0TTD3lnsBJ

lights = $25 from bunnings, I used a white sheet ( I didn't iron iron as I was photographing glass so I wanted some shadow through the glass ), a kichen table, some how to secure the white sheet above the product height (ahhh 2 large bull clips ), 2 white "foamcore" reflectors, 2 cans of veges ( hold up the foamcore).

I ended up getting the left side of the box blown out so I stuck a book BUT with a piece of white paper to the left to block the light reflecting on it.

on that note about blocking light, its one thing most people don't think of, sometimes you do not want light........... what you want is "balance"

I had a small led light " $5 ish " from almost any discount shop.

the secret to this is DO NOT do it during the day, you want to control the ambient light, as the sun moves across the house the colour temp changes and the exposure changes so in the end ALL your images look different and unless you want to spend loads of time correcting them or you are a WIZZ at photoshop I suggest you do this at night.

end result http://screencast.com/t/cWnozEQtBjj

straight shot with out of the camera and then cleaning up the top background, that was needed to balance the differences between GLASS, a WHITE package and a BOX that was even darker........... photography is about balance.

I hope this helps someone, if you want homebrew then these guys are good, www.brewsmith.com.au , a great online success so far and the beer is soooooo easy to do and tastes FANTASTIC, they even have online video tutorials so you can watch as you do.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
erhan I don't think that ebay link will suit you, it looks like it needs lights as well and that type can be expensive.

if you are doing small product lines like a no higher then a 1.5ltr coke bottle then I recomemend this: http://www.officeworks.com.au/retai...essories/Camera-Lighting-Accessories/TAOSLKIT

cheap and it actually works.

I did a post on it as well, what you do need is a camera that you can alter the exposure by + or -

I use a 7 year old Nikon DSLR that is only 6 megapixels and my shots are fine for brochures, but not billboards, but definitely fine for web.

you should use a medium lens, to many people try to get to close to the item, this also distorts the item and often ends in out of focus images, to far back distorts as well.

if you are only doing for the web don't be afraid on NOT filling the screen with the image, better to be back a little and then crop out the background as it will still leave you with a large enough image for the web and then once cropped resize.

youtube is a GREAT place to learn how to shot images.

tim

Thanks for the tips, I have a Nikon DSLR and a Sony NEX5R (which I love, because it has a heap of auto settings for hack photographers like me!).

Sounds like the Nikon with its superior lenses is the camera to use.

I'll also look out for some youtube videos

findtim

Top Contributor
auto settings most times are your enemy, they "average" what they see so you end up with "average" images.

outdoors at the family bbq.. GREAT, trying to get your can of baked beans to look good.... bad

white product on white background a nightmare on auto, it will just turn grey, same for black on black it will just turn grey.

you have to + or - product shots , and I have done hundredsssss

tim

Chumby

Top Contributor
Nice setup Tim... I like what you have done there.

I have an Oly E3 with some nice lenses (4/3 35-100mm f2.0)... the new em1, may brig some life (and motivation) into the old photography...

On the topic of beer... a mate and I purchased one on these 6 weeks ago... been brewing everyday since. Very nice stuff...

www.williamswarn.com

Cheers
Chumby

findtim

Top Contributor
chumby, i'd need that kinda money for the divorce !!! if I bought one

looks great but, where's your breakeven point? never ?

tim :D

it must just be love

Chumby

Top Contributor
Yep... love indeed.

$6k purchase. Machine brews 2.5 slabs in approx 7 days. Bottle it out and brew again. Using approx figures:

WilliamsWarn Brew:
$25 for 2.5 premium home brew slabs.

Branded Beer:
$125 (assuming $50/carton) for 2.5 premium purchased slabs.

So a saving of $100 on WW brew vs purchased beer (for same quantity)

4 brews a month = $400 saving.
12 months brewing = $4800 saving
15 months brewing = $6000 saving

So after 15 months of solid brewing you will have saved the money you spent on the purchase and you still have a $6k asset you could sell if you needed.

Break even point is getting closer everyday. Then it is all "free beer" onwards.

Recommended.

Cheers,
Chumby

findtim

Top Contributor
good on ya

I bought Helena one of those "pod" coffee machines for $300, she was on $5 a coffee a day with michels patisserie that's $150 a month, now we are down to $1 a day and she LOVESSSS it, it also does hot choc for the kids, I go into the cbd once a month and pick up a batch from the nespresso store and not to mention the TIME saved as she would always ask me to get her a coffee when I went close and it was a 5-10min wait for a coffee............ me standing still with nobody to talk to for 5 minutes is my personal hell :)

AND, it also chills a glass of water in 30 seconds although I haven't had time to put it to the test, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if it would chill beer?

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members