What's new

Problem with domain transfer

stoscano

Hi all.

I just thought I would discuss with you guys of some problems i had recently selling a domain name on ebay.

I sold 3x (.com) domain names to the one buyer for low $xx total. Upon payment i sent the buyer the reg keys for the 3 domain names, all 3 domains were purchased at the same time by me, expired at the same time about 20days after the sale, and had the exact same details on a whois search and were all registered at the same registrar.
I received 2 emails from the buyers registrar basically saying that the transfer has commenced and that if the transfer was in error I should reply to the email.
So i didn't reply to these emails.
I then receive an email from the buyer saying that the registrar cannot find an email address listed for the 3rd domain, allthough it is clearly visible in a public whois search as being the same email address as the other 2 domains. I confirm this with my registrar just incase and then forward the email confirming that the email address is correct to the buyer.
2 more weeks pass and nothing further happens.
Then yesterday I get an abusive email from the buyer saying that he has had to purchase the 3rd domain after it expired as the transfer didn't go through.

I politely try to explain to him that its not my fault. He persists that its my fault and requests his money back. I continuely tell him that he needs to speak to his registrar, which he doesn't seem to want to do.

While the money isn't an issue, the principle is. I strongly believe that I have done everything here that I could have done to successfully transfer the domain to the buyer.
What do you guys think?
Who's in the wrong here?

paz

You definately are not liable in any way. If it was available on a public WHOIS search there is no debate - not your fault.

soj

Founder
You have done everything correctly, and i dont even know if theres anything else you could have done to change the situation. The buyer seems to be pretty stubborn in not contacting the registrar to find out what happened. I know this was only a small transaction, though an escrow transaction would have cleared up any problems with it all. Im sorry to hear that this has happened with you stoscano, and i hope you get it sorted out with no problems ;)

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
yep escrow can avoid this problem (i have an account) but yet to use it for a sale , but be aware of chargebacks from paypal ,hope you work it out

Ross

Top Contributor
How do you streamline a domain transfer from Melbourne It to Hostess?

Hi Guys,

I came a across a domain name i'm interested in which is current registered with Melbourne It.... (while i'm with Hostess)

The owner seems happy to transfer the domain but is very short on time.

I need to make it very easy for them... otherwise the transfer will not go through.

Can someone please suggest a very simply way to do this?

Do i need to get the domain password and just do it myself?
Are there any forms that need to be filled out (contracts, auda... etc).

Never done it before (domain transfer virgin)... and i could use some coaching through the process.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Hi Ross,

They will have to complete the form - there's no way around that. If you want to do the registrant transfer at another registrar (because their transfer fee may be cheaper for example), they will need to click a link on an email sent to them to confirm the registrar transfer as well.

If it's much of a muchness you may as well do the transfer thro Melb IT (call them up , bust a deal on the cost ;) and get a hold of their transfer forms and send to seller)

Then transfer to Hostess in a few days when you own it.

Good luck

David

DomainMarketPlace

Top Contributor
yep need to complete a change of ownership form. auDA requires paperwork..

There will be a fee assocated, which should include 2 year reg.

I do these all the time, our fee is $120

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members