What's new

Prerelease auctions

jamesau

Given there are no prerelease auctions in the .au space I have always assumed this is against policy.

Is there anything in the new rules about allowing prerelease auctions?

This has always seemed a better way of operating and rewards registrars for signing up more customers to the namespace by having more inventory to sell.

trellian

Top Contributor
Hi James,

Pre-release auctions for .au names have been around for a long time. Just go to Drop.com.au as they list all names that are about to expire and also any that have been policy deleted.

jamesau

Hi James,

Pre-release auctions for .au names have been around for a long time. Just go to Drop.com.au as they list all names that are about to expire and also any that have been policy deleted.

Sorry, to clarify I mean pre-release like the inventory on GoDaddy and Namejet. These domains never expire they are auctioned by the registrar before deleting.

I don't actually know if this is against auDA terms but I have always assumed this to be the case because otherwise registrars are leaving a lot of money on the table.

jamesau

Thanks for the follow up.

Are there any registrar owners here interested in pushing for a change in this? It does seem unfair for the registrars providing and promoting the .au namespace to not be rewarded here.

trellian

Top Contributor
The way .com.au space works I doubt that auDA would consider this as you need to be eligible to own a .com.au and you also need specific permission from the current registrant to perform a CoR who needs to approve the CoR confirmation email, so I doubt that this would ever be implemented or even work as why would the current owner agree to a CoR right before the domain drops and not just renew the name last minute and then try to sell the domain now that you know that someone wanted to buy it...

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo