1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Premium .com.au domain names a valuable asset for Australian businesses

Discussion in 'Resources & Success Stories' started by chris, Jan 30, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
    A good read by George Pongas, General Manager at AusRegistry.

http://www.ausregistry.com.au/news/...es-a-valuable-asset-for-australian-businesses

3 people like this.
  2. Jamie-AU

Jamie-AU Membership: Community

Some interesting points in that article.

However, was Woolworth's $33,000 purchase of "hardware.com.au" worthwhile given that for the last 4 years they have done nothing with it? Shouldn't they have least redirected to the website of their new hardware brand, Masters?

Interestingly, the WayBackMachine reveals that the rival hardware chain, Bunnings, actually had a website at the hardware.com.au address during 2005 and 2006. Wonder why they let it go?

1 person likes this.
  3. Rudy

Rudy Membership: Community

Renewing a domain tends to become the responsibility of one of the staff and with a number of staff changes it's quite easy for someone to just not know about the domain or let it lapse by mistake I guess. It happens all the time. Just look at investmentproperty.com.au that went for $125,000 at netfleet.com.au (expired domain). That renewal lapse was an accidental oversight at the time.

4. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

The above situation was a one off ……i suggest , most expired domains do not command that figure on the drops

5. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    staff changes I think are a MAJOR reason for good names dropping, are there any registrars that have a second email address allowed to be entered for domain ownership?

tim

6. Jamie-AU

Jamie-AU Membership: Community

For .com.au domains, there appears to be several email fields in the registration details:

1) Registrant Contact Email
    2) Admin Contact Email
    3) Tech contact Email
    4) Billing contact

I wonder if all those email addresses (if they are not all the same) are individually sent expiry notifications? If so, it might be wise for domain owners to include a different email address for each, to ensure they don't miss notifications. Particularly, as Tim mentioned, if one staff member has left, or is simply on extended leave.

7. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    yeh, but my address is generally in all of them and i only receive 1 email so i think the billing is used for renewal and the others are just used if you phone them up and need a password reset or something then they can email you.

eg: hi, our office person has left, we have changed web developers and we need to get in and pay but the admin address is still on my computer so can you send it there...." which i have had to do for new clients before.

tim