What's new

Plural of Generic Name

Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking about registering a new generic web domain name and am surprised that the plural is available.

The singular is taken and the company who is is a major supplier of a certain type of item uses its own "name" followed by "generic domain wording" in all of its advertising but only has the singular 'generic domain name" as its web domain name/address. Their website only has a copyright logo next to their "name"(Is that too confusing?)

Am I able to register the plural and use it to develop my own different idea regarding this 'generic item'?

Goog the Newb

coreyg

Top Contributor
did you conduct a trade mark search of the term? @
Home Page | IP Australia which Administers intellectual property, patents, trade marks, designs, plant breeder's rights, promote innovation, investment, trade, applications, conduct hearings, register intellectual property, oppositions, grant exclusive intellectual property rights, develop intellectual property policy, professional registration, advice to government

http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/

Cheers
Corey

did you conduct a trade mark search of the term? @
Home Page | IP Australia which Administers intellectual property, patents, trade marks, designs, plant breeder's rights, promote innovation, investment, trade, applications, conduct hearings, register intellectual property, oppositions, grant exclusive intellectual property rights, develop intellectual property policy, professional registration, advice to government

http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/

Cheers
Corey

As Corey says best to do a TM search but most generic terms which are descriptive don't usually get through the trade mark process - PM me if you want to discuss

acheeva

Top Contributor
Warning re Trade Mark Searches

I have a problem with a domain where there is no exact word trade mark or images incorporating that name but where there is similar hybrid word (that is in itself a misspelling).
I was rapt when I found the domain but am in a fight to keep it.
It seems that it is necessary to consider who may object when seeking out names (whether they be plural or likenesses)

vr101

I was done once for 2 au domains, that I thought were generic but were actually trademarks.. don't want to mention what they were, but man, where the lawyers scary !

Erwin

Top Contributor
-I'd register the generic word
-I'd be careful with this domain as to not to cause confusion with similar companies with a similar trading class of goods/services.

snoopy

Top Contributor
The singular is taken and the company who is is a major supplier of a certain type of item uses its own "name" followed by "generic domain wording" in all of its advertising but only has the singular 'generic domain name" as its web domain name/address. Their website only has a copyright logo next to their "name"(Is that too confusing?)

It wouldn't make sense for it is to be a copyright logo, what is the logo?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member