What's new

perth.com.au

Simon Johnson

Top Contributor
From the article:

Murdoch University computer security expert Nik Thompson said it could be a case of "domain squatting".

*sigh* here we go again.

James

Top Contributor
Seems like some one threw up a quick template site and has not edited the content, which can easily impact conversion.

100% not domain squatting tho LMAO, security expert

findtim

Top Contributor
if you ask enough uninformed people you will get the answer you wish to publish !

fairfax 101

tim

Horshack

Top Contributor
Yep from memory I lobbed a complaint on this domain earlier in the year when it redirected to a different web address.

snoopy

Top Contributor
From the article:

Murdoch University computer security expert Nik Thompson said it could be a case of "domain squatting".

*sigh* here we go again.

Well, he is pretty close, it is a case of domain speculation where the domainer puts up the content they thought about for 10 seconds. Who does that...err...all of us?

In the minds of most people domain squatting and domain speculation are the same thing. It is collecting a whole lot of domains and doing near nothing with them. That is what squatting is seen as. No judge or legal textbook will ever change that.

Horshack

Top Contributor
To draw attention to the possible squatting of course. In my opinion it's not uncommon to find a questionable registrant on many domain names that I search for. I think those that wish to play outside the rules should be penalised for it. Maybe the websites that you are seeing from this registrant are a response to complaints to the AUDA. And of course the name is an attractive proposition to see deleted if I was possibly eligible which I'm probably not.

findtim

Top Contributor
To draw attention to the squatting of course. In my opinion it's not uncommon to find a questionable registrant on many domain names that I search for. I think those that wish to play outside the rules should be penalised for it. Maybe the websites that you are seeing from this registrant are a response to complaints to the AUDA. And of course the name is an attractive proposition to see deleted.

maybe they are just " in development " ? , such a great name takes time to develop, unfortunate it showed up online but everyone gets hiccups.

tim

DamianLondon

Top Contributor
""Murdoch University computer security expert Nik Thompson said it could be a case of "domain squatting".

"He said the perth.com.au site was linked to an internet consulting site called Hamish.com.au in Tasmania."

"As far as copyright goes, there's not much you do," he said.

"It looks like someone has bought the business names –and they are quite desirable domain names."

Dr Thompson said there weren't really any laws in Australia to stop domain squatting and that the owner of the sites would more than likely make a profit down the track by selling the domain names.
""

Takes about 1 Minute to do a search on the Company who owns the domain name; 10 seconds to do a whois lookup and about another minute to see what their line of business is.

Please refer to http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/da200599/ for any further advice regarding defamation.

Horshack

Top Contributor
No complaints yet snoopy but that one looked questionable at the time. If the registrant is playing by the rules the response to the complaint wouldn't be a problem.

Horshack

Top Contributor
Regardless of this discussion I'm sure the website will be improved and monetising in no time. and as noted earlier there's nothing like a bit of free advertising to drive some traffic to your site.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo